TOS 5.1.24 is Released for Update!

Official news about TOS, mobile app, PC app updates or beta releases
tepe

Re: TOS 5.1.24 is released for update!

Post by tepe »

It will be possible in near future to update from 5.1.24 -> TOS 5.1.37 over the control panel -> update ?
Or it's necessary to do clean install to get newer version in the future ?
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}tepe
Please update to TOS 5.1.33 first. viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4548
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Yanness

Post by Yanness »

TMroy wrote: 21 Jun 2023, 13:07 The information you provided is so sparse and fragmented that I can't find any clues for now. Your F4-220 is a relatively old device, it should be installed with TOS 3.x/4.x at first, how did you update to TOS 5.0? Did you remove some of the hard drives and then plug the removed hard drive back in after the update? What are you missing exactly? Are you missing the user's home directory or are you missing a storage pool? How many storage pools do you have in total?
Hi @TMroy,

Thank you for your reply.

I was first at TOS3.x then 4.x when I have upgraded to TOS 5.x (1st install). I actually had help to reinstall TOS 5.x from one of your colleague who helped me through Team. And I was hoping someone will do the same again.

When she helped me, yes we removed the hard drives and then plugged the removed hard drives back in after the update. At the time I wasn't able to recover the home folder but I had and still have back ups of my old Home Directories. And thanks God I have not yet delete them.

Following that I have used the F4-220 normally (while still trying to sort out all this mess) until I upgraded to the latest version of TOS 5.x. At this stage I didn't have any back up of the latest data from the home directories because there was no warning to do the back up in the Control Panel System tab announcement and I assumed that your upgrade system was mature and safe at this time. But I can see that it is not the case yet and that you guys still have some work to do to make it viable.

Repeating myself, I have now reinstalled TOS 5.1.24 by keeping the hard drives in but choosing where to install the TOS 5.x. But the problem is still occurring. A number of my storage pools are missing but some of them are still present when checking the volumes.

So in conclusion, at the moment, I am missing all of the home directories and some storage pools. All the shared folders seems to be intact and fine.

So can you help me out to sort this issue out?
And in the future is your company planning on having problem free upgrades? Just like Windows OS?
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

Yanness wrote: 01 Jul 2023, 19:09 having problem free upgrades? Just like Windows OS?
That's a bit of a stretch! Windows upgrades are not problem free (and never will be - read the small print). You also have to consider the HUGE user base of Windows and the millions of free, unpaid testers out there. Also consider windows users PAY significant licence fees (even if they don't see them directly). An official licenced copy of Windows 11 Home, from an approved retailer, currently sells at about £110.00 in the UK.

TOS is Linux based, so what you can expect is best effort. Problems can emanate from various underlying contributions to the OS. Hoping that all the contributed (ie not developed by TM) apps are going to be problem free is an even bigger ask.

I'm not saying that pre-release testing couldn't probably be improved :mrgreen: but this is a budget system and sometimes we have to live with that. If you want 'perfect' it would cost you a lot more than what you are currently paying - and probably would not be obtainable even then.
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

You can try following solution:
1. remove all your drive;
2. only plug in and reboot with your drive which contains your home directories; you should find the home directories back if you did not wipe the system configuration;
3. backup the data in home directories to an USB;
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Yanness

Post by Yanness »

Hi TMroy,

Thank you. I will try your solution and report back.

But I am not sure which drive contains the home directories.
In the past I was trying to find this information from some of your colleagues trough emails and they told me the home directories could be scattered on several drives. But I was surprised to see that when reinstalling TOS 5.x I had a choice of the location for the installation.

But I will try each drive and go from there.
Yanness

Post by Yanness »

Gremlin wrote: 01 Jul 2023, 19:44
Yanness wrote: 01 Jul 2023, 19:09 having problem free upgrades? Just like Windows OS?
That's a bit of a stretch! Windows upgrades are not problem free (and never will be - read the small print). You also have to consider the HUGE user base of Windows and the millions of free, unpaid testers out there. Also consider windows users PAY significant licence fees (even if they don't see them directly). An official licenced copy of Windows 11 Home, from an approved retailer, currently sells at about £110.00 in the UK.

TOS is Linux based, so what you can expect is best effort. Problems can emanate from various underlying contributions to the OS. Hoping that all the contributed (ie not developed by TM) apps are going to be problem free is an even bigger ask.

I'm not saying that pre-release testing couldn't probably be improved :mrgreen: but this is a budget system and sometimes we have to live with that. If you want 'perfect' it would cost you a lot more than what you are currently paying - and probably would not be obtainable even then.
Ok. Good points Gremlin.
Yanness

Post by Yanness »

TMroy wrote: 02 Jul 2023, 00:16 You can try following solution:
1. remove all your drive;
2. only plug in and reboot with your drive which contains your home directories; you should find the home directories back if you did not wipe the system configuration;
3. backup the data in home directories to an USB;
Hi TMroy,

After trying each hard drive in turn, I have the following message coming up:
No hard drive detected and Initialization.

What should I do?
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMRyan »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Yanness

Hi, how did you try it?
Do you plug in the hard drive and turn it on, or do you plug in the hard drive after turning it on?
If you can enter the system normally under certain circumstances, you can choose to recover to a different volume in the advanced settings of the shared folder in the TOS control panel. After recovery, go to the TOS file manager to check if there is a directory you want in the home directory.
If you do not see the home directory, you need to enable the home directory in the advanced settings of the user module in the TOS control panel.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
Yanness

Post by Yanness »

TMRyan wrote: 08 Jul 2023, 00:57 [at=TMRyan post_id=28282 time=1688749051 user_id=2597][/at]

Hi, how did you try it?
Do you plug in the hard drive and turn it on, or do you plug in the hard drive after turning it on?
If you can enter the system normally under certain circumstances, you can choose to recover to a different volume in the advanced settings of the shared folder in the TOS control panel. After recovery, go to the TOS file manager to check if there is a directory you want in the home directory.
If you do not see the home directory, you need to enable the home directory in the advanced settings of the user module in the TOS control panel.
Hi TMRyan,

Thank you for your advice.

I have turned off the device, put the hard drive in and then turn it back on. I have done this for each hard drive.
When it didn't work, I have kept the first hard drive where I have installed the latest TOS 5.x and plugged in and plugged out every hard drive to see if I can get anything out of this method. Now I have put everything back in.

Then I have tried the method you suggested to recover volumes and IT WORKED :D . Now remember reading somewhere about this method as you mentioned it. Although I have not yet recover some of the pools, but I am hopeful that I might be able to resolve this problem as well. I will restart the server and see if it changed anything.

Thank you. I have now made a back up of the configuration.

Return to “Update Notice”