TOS 5.1.24 is Released for Update!

Official news about TOS, mobile app, PC app updates or beta releases
Scare

Re: TOS 5.1.24 is released for update!

Post by Scare »

I used the 5.1.24 update on 5.0.something, then wasn't able to login via the web interface or SMB, got the "user not found" message for both the root-level user and user-level user that I previously had. Plex was working and serving media files just fine. My system drive is 1TB with almost nothing on it, so it wasn't the problem caused by a too-small system partition. The system debug screen had messages about fields not existing in the SQL commands dealing with the user table. Maybe 5.1.24 is only suitable for a clean install, not an update?
Tricky
Great Britain

Re: TOS 5.1.24 is Released for Update!

Post by Tricky »

Question, if wanting to reinstall 5.1 because the original system was TOS 4 and only 2gb partition, is it possible to just reinstall on the original disk which carries the system and then re-insert the remaining disks? Will they be read as normal, or am I going to have to back up the lot and reinstall everything?
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

Tricky wrote: 21 Jul 2023, 16:40 Question, if wanting to reinstall 5.1 because the original system was TOS 4 and only 2gb partition, is it possible to just reinstall on the original disk which carries the system and then re-insert the remaining disks? Will they be read as normal, or am I going to have to back up the lot and reinstall everything?
The "system" is typically mirrored (raid 1) on all disks so you cannot "re-insert the remaining disks" as these will still carry the old 2Gb partitioning. Once you have a good backup you can experiment as much as you like. :!: ;)
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
Tricky
Great Britain

Post by Tricky »

Gremlin wrote: 21 Jul 2023, 16:50
Tricky wrote: 21 Jul 2023, 16:40 Question, if wanting to reinstall 5.1 because the original system was TOS 4 and only 2gb partition, is it possible to just reinstall on the original disk which carries the system and then re-insert the remaining disks? Will they be read as normal, or am I going to have to back up the lot and reinstall everything?
The "system" is typically mirrored (raid 1) on all disks so you cannot "re-insert the remaining disks" as these will still carry the old 2Gb partitioning. Once you have a good backup you can experiment as much as you like. :!: ;)
Thanks! I thought since I only had 1 RAID setup and the rest single disks, I might get away with it.
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Tricky

Yeah - it's not the first time this has come up. As I understand it, say you have a raid 1 with 2 disks and one is damaged, then the mirrored boot/system partition will allow the device to function. That extends to a set of independent disks (non raid) so the system will function with any of those disks inserted. So, you can have a SET or one of a SET, but you cannot mix different raid mirrors across different sets. [And it is not just the system partition that is mirrored, there is a swap partition as well.]
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)

Return to “Update Notice”