How to reinstall TOS for your TNAS?

New system installation, system re-install
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Re: How to reinstall TOS for your TNAS?

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}blobbyguts
If you want to use the latest TOS5, you inevitably need to backup your data to other devices or hard drives. Please refer to:viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4912
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

blobbyguts wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 17:43
5. Can a TOS 4.2.40 system configuration backup be restored to TOS 5.0.176?
I doubt it. They are sufficiently different to make it viable.
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
Rknight

Post by Rknight »

Hi,

I have bought a F4-423 and installed four 16TB hard disks + 1 SSD. I first used TRAID option at init, with one big pool and 1 volume.

After that I wanted to change the RAID options and deleted the disk pool and volume without backuping the settings (*sigh*). Now I don't have any more pool and can't create any, even if I had fully reinitialized TOS (done this several time but same state after full init). I have no EDIT or CREATE options for pools and volumes.

How can I restart the whole process again for being able to choose the RAID options / disk pools and create volumes ?

That's is bugging me.
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

I doubt this has anything to do with 'settings backup'. :cry:
Normally, in this situation, I have found the only solution is to clear the drives of all remnants of TOS before attempting a re-initialization (and I've done it a few times on my Beta test machine :o )
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
Rknight

Post by Rknight »

Gremlin wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 19:22 I doubt this has anything to do with 'settings backup'. :cry:
Normally, in this situation, I have found the only solution is to clear the drives of all remnants of TOS before attempting a re-initialization (and I've done it a few times on my Beta test machine :o )
How to you do that ("clear the drives of...") ?
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

In my case I have a Windows desktop pc with a caddy for 3.5" drives. I use a partition manager (MiniTool Partition Wizard, but there are others). Typically I prefer to 'secure erase' drives that are problematic but that can be very time consuming. For a quick fix I just delete all partitions. (With the proviso that this solution has been known to not completely clear the drive superblock (TM are looking at that.*) If doing a full re-install it should not be an issue.)

[* I had one drive that was used to rebuild an array and when checked via cli it showed up as "ntfs" of blank when it should have been 'linux file system' or similar]
Rknight

Post by Rknight »

Gremlin wrote: 29 Feb 2024, 00:34 In my case I have a Windows desktop pc with a caddy for 3.5" drives. I use a partition manager (MiniTool Partition Wizard, but there are others). Typically I prefer to 'secure erase' drives that are problematic but that can be very time consuming. For a quick fix I just delete all partitions. (With the proviso that this solution has been known to not completely clear the drive superblock (TM are looking at that.*) If doing a full re-install it should not be an issue.)

[* I had one drive that was used to rebuild an array and when checked via cli it showed up as "ntfs" of blank when it should have been 'linux file system' or similar]
Thanks, will try that.
dizzastaffy

Post by dizzastaffy »

I am rebuilding my NAS and reinstalling the OS and deleted the drive volumes (after ransomware hack).

Everything seems to work, up until it formats the RAID. It gets to 10% everything and stops with an error "Failed to format RAID! Your hard drives may be abnormal. Please initialize your hard drives and try again.

Any ideas on how to get round this? I have tried multiple times, powered off again etc and it a fresh O/S load.

The drives were working fine, I deleted the volume before I re-installed the O/S and both drives passed the checks it does when rebuilt it.

Its a TNAS F2-210 2 bay.
crisisacting

Post by crisisacting »

{L_BUTTON_AT}dizzastaffy

Don't just delete partitions, secure erase the drives to leave them uninitialized.
dizzastaffy

Post by dizzastaffy »

They both show uninitialised when I run the install

Return to “Initialization & installation”