How to reinstall TOS for your TNAS?

New system installation, system re-install
Mordac85

Re: How to reinstall TOS for your TNAS?

Post by Mordac85 »

I have an F5-221 running TOS 5.1.34 with a system partition of 1.84GB. Is this process still valid for using the 5.1.67 install image to update the size of my system partition to 8GB?
F5-221
TOS 5.1.67
4 x 4TB RAID5 EXT4
1 x 8TB EXT4
Mordac85

Post by Mordac85 »

Never mind. I just verified w/support on their chat line that this post is still accurate and the current process. So I'll finish my backup and start the update with fingers crossed.
F5-221
TOS 5.1.67
4 x 4TB RAID5 EXT4
1 x 8TB EXT4
HazelQ

Post by HazelQ »

TMroy wrote: 12 May 2020, 14:02 Applicable model: All TNAS models
(F2-422, F4-422, F5-422: Please use the 1000mbps interface when installing TOS.)

If you totally forget your username and password, or your TNAS encounters a failure and needs to reinstall the TOS, please refer to the following guidelines:

WARNING!
Since the TOS 5.1 system requires more space, if your initial system was TOS 4.x, and the available storage space of your system partition is less than 200MB, please do not update to TOS 5.1.

To check the free space of your system partition,
Go to "TOS > Control panel > System Info > Overview", and check free space from the item of "/" .

Method:

1. Turn off your TNAS device;
2. Remove all hard drives;
3. Turn on your TNAS;
4. Wait about two minutes, after the network light is on, use TNAS PC to search for your TNAS device;
5. Clear browser cache;
6. Select the device and click "Login" to the "Initialization" page;
7. Insert your hard drives;
8. Follow the instructions on the web page to install the new TOS system.

Download the latest TOS installation package

Note: Reinstalling the system normally will only resets the configuration and permissions but does not delete the data on the hard disks if they have been on the device before. BUT to prevent accidents, it is recommended to backup your data before reinstalling if conditions are sufficient. If you have any questions when operating the above steps, please contact us in time.
If it prompts "Format","Create","Delete"disk/storage/raid, please stop the operation immediately and Please prepare other devices or new hard drives to backup data. If you need help exporting data, please contact us.
In this post i worked my way through but point "8." feels a bit empty. It only sais follow the instructions. But I see two ways from here as the pop up sais: "Initialization
The TOS system was found on the hard drive(s)!
Option 1: Use the TOS system on hard drive(s)
Option 2: Install a new TOS system"

I want to reinstall TOS completely and option 1 is not really saying it is going to reinstall it but rather use it.
But when option 2 is selected it shows a red message "The data on the hard drive data(s) will be deleted!" And this is definitely not what I want.

Could you help me here and elaborate? SHoul I use option 1 and will it then reinstall the TOS?
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

Which version of TOS is on the hard drive already?
Which version of TOS are you trying to re(install)?
What was the capacity & free space on your system partition ("/)?
When you followed "step 8" did you see an option to "custom install"?
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
HazelQ

Post by HazelQ »

@Gremlin Thanks for answering!

Which version of TOS is on the hard drive already?
4.2.40-2008051459
Which version of TOS are you trying to re(install)?
I do not really care. The Terramaster assistant told me to do so when he connected over teamviewer.
I had drive issues and they would not mount. He mentioned all should work after a reinstall of the TOS.
What was the capacity & free space on your system partition ("/)?
Plenty. 2 TB I think
When you followed "step 8" did you see an option to "custom install"?
Yes but when I selected the downloaded TOS version and clicked "continue there was a pop up with a warning "All Data will be deleted on the drives"
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

{L_BUTTON_AT}HazelQ
Hi. Sorry I have no experience of TOS4 so I would be guessing mostly. The downloaded file should have a '.ins' suffix. In your case, I should say the TOS vesion should be identical to the version you have - the intention being to re-install exactly the same version as on the drives already. The correct installation package can be found on the Terra-master.com support download site. You would need to select the version appropriate to your model. I stress, you need the installation package rather than the update package. Hopefully @TMSupport be be along shortly to amplify and assist you further.
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
Belgarion

Post by Belgarion »

I have a F2-221 that used to run TOS 4.2.32

I want to re-install 5.1.67 from scratch on the existing hard drives.

I followed the procedure outlined in the first post (previously called "Method 2"). Selected Install New TOS and uploaded the .ins for 5.1.67 - it took a few minutes and then (I assume) rebooted

Now 1.2.3.4 (IP adress of TNAS) is Connection refused. And https://1.2.3.4:5443/ is answering, showing a web page that says "Loading..., please wait!" but it hasn't changed over the past hour or so.

Any idea ? Should I wipe my HD prior to doing Method 2 ? (both HD were RAID running the old TOS 4.2)
Belgarion

Post by Belgarion »

Update: I physically trurned off the TNAS, restarted it (power button) and the NAS came back up with th enew OS installed.
Belgarion wrote: 24 Oct 2023, 23:59 I have a F2-221 that used to run TOS 4.2.32

I want to re-install 5.1.67 from scratch on the existing hard drives.

I followed the procedure outlined in the first post (previously called "Method 2"). Selected Install New TOS and uploaded the .ins for 5.1.67 - it took a few minutes and then (I assume) rebooted

Now 1.2.3.4 (IP adress of TNAS) is Connection refused. And https://1.2.3.4:5443/ is answering, showing a web page that says "Loading..., please wait!" but it hasn't changed over the past hour or so.

Any idea ? Should I wipe my HD prior to doing Method 2 ? (both HD were RAID running the old TOS 4.2)
DLeesUK

Post by DLeesUK »

Hi,
I have a Terramaster F2-210 which was recently attacked with IceFire (Malware). Fortunately, at the time, I didn't have any importand docs on the drives, so just deleted everything. It was just a testing ground for cross netowrk coding, etc (files backed up somewhere else)

However, just to be on the safe side, I wish to reset my NAS to 'straight out of the box'.

I'm having problems with this.

I used the Restore function on the control panel and waited and waited....Nothing happened. Upon following instructions on the TOS Forum, I can't get to the inisialisation stage. When I attempt to log in I get 'THIS SITE CAN'T BE REACHED' & "ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED"

I have changed nothing regards my network set-up or firewall or VPN or anything 'networky' :D

Could anyone help??

Thanks in advance.

Darren
crisisacting

Post by crisisacting »

{L_BUTTON_AT}DLeesUK
Have you followed the procedure in the initial post at the start of this very thread?

Return to “Initialization & installation”