How to reinstall TOS for your TNAS?

New system installation, system re-install
crisisacting

Re: How to reinstall TOS for your TNAS?

Post by crisisacting »

{L_BUTTON_AT}dizzastaffy

Check SMART information on both drives. Maybe run tests on them as well.
dizzastaffy

Post by dizzastaffy »

I found this which is the issue I am having

viewtopic.php?t=2805

However, I cant SSH the NAS as it is in blank/TOS install mode. So even when creating the raid I have no ssh access to run these commands.
dizzastaffy

Post by dizzastaffy »

I got it working by running the commands on the link, but couldn’t ssh it so had to remove and mount the hard disks to my computer via a caddy.

Even deleting all volumes on windows if still failed, so had to mount in Linux and run the commands and then worked fine.

Mine was sticking at 10% and the security email code was a problem on signup or the next button wouldn’t do anything, soon as run the Linux commands both worked fine so there was previous raid info on the drives (even though deleted all the volumes/partions)
sjl070707

Post by sjl070707 »

I followed the guide.
I upgraded to TOS6 and factory reset, and it failed to boot,

removed all hdd NVME etc, booted the device, no network light, no IP.
what should I do?

also with the HDD in, I can't ssh into it as none of my user account nor password works.
this is extremely frustrating
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

dizzastaffy wrote: 02 Mar 2024, 19:12 I got it working by running the commands on the link, but couldn’t ssh it so had to remove and mount the hard disks to my computer via a caddy.

Even deleting all volumes on windows if still failed, so had to mount in Linux and run the commands and then worked fine.

Mine was sticking at 10% and the security email code was a problem on signup or the next button wouldn’t do anything, soon as run the Linux commands both worked fine so there was previous raid info on the drives (even though deleted all the volumes/partions)
I have found that deleting partitions alone does not always solve these problems. It could be a lower level issue. When encountered I will usually do a 'secure erase' (writing ones or zeros to every block) or what used to be called a low level format.
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
martingh
Spain

Post by martingh »

I currently have a F4-423, I'm thinking in upgrading it to F4-424.
Can I reuse the same HDDs? Will I lose all my configurations and data?
I currently have 4 disks in RAID 5 mode.

Thanks
TMgevin

Post by TMgevin »

martingh wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 19:14
Can be transferred directly for use.
michaelb
United States of America

Post by michaelb »

This is how to do it, I just did it for the version 4 system. After an exhaustive search of documents, there were clear assumptions made. I will be explicit here. For reference, this is an F4-210 tnas.

How to reinstall TOS for a TNAS that you don't have an accessible desktop instance for:
1. I found that I had to lose the data on the disks to do this, but not a big deal since I was able to backup through SAMBA before starting
2. The trick is that when you pull all your disks, and stick in 1 disk out of order, the TNAS will restart a fresh install
3. Download the complete install for you system from the support page and have it ready
4. power down the tnas (hold power for 3 seconds let it power down)
5. pull all the drives
6. put a new drive or a drive that will not function on its own (example drive 4 of a large JBOB)
7. power on the drive (give it enough time for the lights to settle down)
8. connect to the tnas via the app
9. the deskop installation will start a new setup, and ask for that install image mentioned before
10. problems getting that to work? you may have to redo starting at #5

Re-initing your drives from a working desktop
1. I installed 1 drive and made sure it all was running with the newly installed functioning desktop
2. power down, and add 3 more drives, power up.
3. make sure the desktop can see the 3 drives
4. remove all the stuff on top of the drives (the desktop will still work)
5. now you are free to set up all the drives with RAID or JBOD you want

Return to “Initialization & installation”