SSD Compatibility List (will be continuously updated)

Hardware compatibility like hard drive, SSD, memory module, Wi-Fi adapter.
bretwashere

Re: SSD Compatibility List (will be continuously updated)

Post by bretwashere »

I can confirm that the SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 250GB M.2 NVMe works perfectly!
manya2000

Post by manya2000 »

Can someone confirm if this SSD drive will works on a F2-423:
Samsung 980 Series - 1TB PCIe Gen3. X4 NVMe 1.4 - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V8V1T0B/AM)

I am 72 years old and I get confussed with all the technicality, specially since some or most of the drives in the compatibility list seem to be not available in Canada.

I don't mind paying up to 160 canadian per drive. Any recomendation for 1tb or 2 TB and as fast as it can be?

Thank you.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}manya2000
Hello, referring to the instructions on the first page of this topic post, we can find that the M.2 SSD model you mentioned is supported.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
manya2000

Post by manya2000 »

I installed 2 Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe Gen 4 Gaming M.2 Internal Solid State Hard Drive Memory Card, Maximum Speed, Thermal Control, MZ-V8P2T0B, Black and they are working fine.

Amazon Canada has them for $149 canadian for the 2 TB for black friday.

I also bought 2 GLOTRENDS M.2 Heatsink with M.2 Thermal Pad for 2280 M.2 PCIe 4.0/3.0 NVMe SSD

But I had to remove part of the rubber sound linning (i guess that is what is called) because the heatsink was touching it and I could not properly fit hardware in the aluminum case.

First I bought the Samsung 980 Pro with Heatsink, but that one was way to thick, beware.

So I can confirm that the Samsung 980 Pro 2TB (MZ-V8P2T0B) works OK in mt F2-423.
Temperature is steady at 37 Cesius/98.60 F. Not sure if that is good or not.
I just transfered 27205 photos and videos (218 GB) and using photoprism pointing at that share.
I wonder if I should (or could) run mariadb/photoprism from those SSD drives and if it will make a difference.
Photoprism is very fast and reliable.
Attachments
20231118_154935-2.jpg
crisisacting

Post by crisisacting »

Really don't understand why so many of you are wasting high-speed, high-throughput NVMe drives like the Samsung 970/980/990 series in these NAS devices that is limited to PCIe3×1.

There are so many other NVMe drives that'll work, operate at a lower temperature and fulfill being a hypercache.
manya2000

Post by manya2000 »

I plead guilty as charged.
However, in my defense, I had inquired previously without receiving any helpful answers. Perhaps I should have exercised more patience, but at the age of 72, time seems to move a bit faster for me. Unable to find any PCIe 3x1 cards listed on Amazon.ca, and considering someone's suggestion that it would work—even at the speed of PCIe 3x1—I made an uninformed decision.

Next time, I'll wait patiently for a knowledgeable person like yourself to come to the rescue of a newbie.

On a side note, I'm not using the NVMe for Hypercache; I lost interest after encountering numerous negative reviews. Instead, I use it solely for reading from Plex, Photoprism, and Terra Photos. Every night at 4:00 am, I back it up to the WD Red Plus drives.

My main goal is to have all my photos dating back to the '50s, from various old hard drives, stored in one centralized location. In the event of loss, I'm prepared to recreate them—it provides me with something to do and keeps me occupied in my retirement age.

Thank you for your assistance; your guidance is duly noted.
crisisacting

Post by crisisacting »

manya2000 wrote: 20 Nov 2023, 00:41… Unable to find any PCIe 3x1 cards listed on Amazon.ca, and considering someone's suggestion that it would work—even at the speed of PCIe 3×1—I made an uninformed decision.
manya2000 wrote: 20 Nov 2023, 00:41… On a side note, I'm not using the NVMe for Hypercache; I lost interest after encountering numerous negative reviews. Instead, I use it solely for reading from Plex, Photoprism, and Terra Photos. Every night at 4:00 am, I back it up to the WD Red Plus drives.
You won't find any specific PCIe 3×1 drives, you just purchase a PCIe3/4 2280 NVMe drive with DRAM cache meeting your capacity needs, since these NAS devices cannot achieve anything higher than theoretical 985 Mbps due to the PCIe lane restriction from the SoCs used; preferably with a higher TBW rating in your use case.
manya2000

Post by manya2000 »

manya2000 wrote: 20 Nov 2023, 00:41… PCIe3/4 2280 NVMe drive with DRAM cache meeting your capacity needs
Thanks for your reply.
So if the Samsung 980 Pro is not the best choice, do you know of any 2 TB drive aI should look for?
Unfortunally, amazon.ca or any other store that I know and have checked, do not have 2 TB PCIe 3 available at a decent price.

Samsung 980 PRO:
Interface: PCIe 4.0
Form Factor: M.2 2280
DRAM Cache: Yes
bidmead
Great Britain

Post by bidmead »

manya2000 wrote: 20 Nov 2023, 00:41 …but at the age of 72, time seems to move a bit faster for me.
Me too, ten years ahead of you, and it's getting faster still. Have you ever wondered why this might be? I'm pretty sure I've discovered the answer: We mentally measure time present in terms of the percentage of time spent on the planet.

--
Chris
crisisacting

Post by crisisacting »

{L_BUTTON_AT}manya2000
Most other ones, which cost less, are Host Memory Buffer (DRAMless), so the one you chose is the ideal option right now due to price.

Though if you can benefit from swapping a NVMe enabled laptop or desktop to this high speed drive, you could use the removed drive in your NAS.

Return to “Compatibility”