[ MineCraft ] MineCraft Server

Discussion on apps, protocols, APIs, specifications, and more. You are welcome to join us as a TOS app developer!
outkastm

Re: [ MineCraft ][ 1.19.2.0 ] MineCraft Server

Post by outkastm »

up to 1.19.2.0
wishindo

Post by wishindo »

Why does downloading this server software require a paid subscription? I'm pretty sure that's against Mojang's TOS.

...YOU MAY distribute or make available plug-ins and other bits and pieces of extended functionality etc. that you create (together, "Mods") for free and without any charge...
Since it specifies that one may distribute free of charge, it is implied that one may not distribute for a charge. And that wording is for actual mods and plug-ins, rather than a re-packaged version of the server software itself.

Pay-walling this could very well be illegal, so you should make it free.
outkastm

Post by outkastm »

If you subscribe to a membership is not for the app itself. Is for the support to have installed on your NAS, support which is given by creating the tpk file and and help with any issues during installation.

In the tpk file description, there is a link with source of the file. If you don't need membership support to install it on your NAS, you can download the source from there and manage yourself how to install it and make it work on your NAS.

I hope once again this will clarify for what the membership is. Is not for the app but for support.
wishindo

Post by wishindo »

outkastm wrote: 14 Oct 2022, 17:42 If you subscribe to a membership is not for the app itself.
Considering that the website won't let me download the latest version without a subscription, then the subscription is for the app itself (along with support).
outkastm wrote: 14 Oct 2022, 17:42 In the tpk file description, there is a link with source of the file.
The link to the Minecraft homepage does not constitute a repository for the source code, nor does it constitute a source page for the server .jar file.
outkastm wrote: 14 Oct 2022, 17:42 If you don't need membership support to install it on your NAS, you can download the source from there and manage yourself how to install it and make it work on your NAS.
I guess I'll have to do that.
outkastm wrote: 14 Oct 2022, 17:42 I hope once again this will clarify for what the membership is. Is not for the app but for support.
Once again, if the free version is any amount of updates behind the paid version, then the membership is also for those updates that the free version does not have.
outkastm

Re: [ MineCraft ] MineCraft Server

Post by outkastm »

So, reading their EULA in detail, i see they don't allow to distribute their content even for free. Still not sure if they are meaning also for the server version as they are always refer to the Game.
That being said, i removed all the minecraft server tpk files (old and new versions)
wishindo

Post by wishindo »

I think it would be fine if you have your package automatically download the server.jar from the official website as a post-installation/pre-runtime step or ask the user to provide the file themself, instead of including it inside the package.

This is similar to what SpigotMC does to distribute their modified version of the server.jar, where they provide a script that downloads the official server.jar and the SpigotMC patches, and applies said patches to the server.jar.

Meaning in your package, you're not distributing their code in the form of the server.jar, but rather your code that just so happens to download their code from an official source.

But don't quote me on this, you should ask Mojang to be sure.
outkastm

Post by outkastm »

No, my work on this app is completelly stopped.

Return to “Developer Discussion Room”