Instructions for Adding HDDs to RAID

Hard Drive, volume, storage pool, RAID
Giuvash

Re: Instructions for Adding HDDs to RAID

Post by Giuvash »

Hi,
these instructions are clear but i'm in a bit different case.
i've a raid5 with 4x4TB and a 3TB single disk
/home is on the 3TB:

[giuva@Giuva-TNas ~]# df -h | grep vg1
/dev/mapper/vg1-lv1 2.8T 1.5T 1.3T 56% /Volume2
/dev/mapper/vg1-lv1 2.8T 1.5T 1.3T 56% /home

can i remove the single disk, add a 4TB and expand the raid5 without problem ?

[giuva@Giuva-TNas ~]# df -h | grep vg0
/dev/mapper/vg0-lv0 11T 9.8T 1.1T 91% /Volume1

how can i remount /home on vg0-lv0 without issue?

Thanks
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Try to shutdown your device, remove the single drive, and restart your device. then you can expend your current raid.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
khuntington

Post by khuntington »

i have a question i had posed elsewhere, but the consensus wasnt sure because no one was using terramaster... and this thread just mentions raid5 and raid6

in july i purchased a terramaster f2-423 for a plex server (works great!), with two 8tb drives set to raid-0. and apparently i quite undershot my performance needs. so i guess i need to upgrade to a f4-423, and buy an extra 8tb HDD drive, as i already have about 11tb installed. so i'm curious....

can i buy the f4-423, unplug the f2-423, plug in the f4, put my f2 HDDs in the f4 server, and add an additional hdd to the f4 raid0, expand the raid0 from 16tb to 24tb, all without doing any sort of backing up, and still maintain all my current data?

or do i have to backup everything, then setup a brand new raid0 and start over again?

just curious if i've hosed myself, or if this can be a pain-free process. thanks.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}khuntington

Hi, for larger RAID0, you have to backup everything and setup a brand new raid0.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Gandalf1369
United States of America

Post by Gandalf1369 »

My question involves not HOW TO add a HDD to an existing RAID but rather can the application(s) on the original RAID still be used and accessed while the RAID is expanding.

Here are the specifics:

I am currently running a F5-221 NAS with four hard drives under RAID 5. The ONLY application on the F5 is Plex Media Server. If I want to add a fifth hard drive to expand the storage can I still use Plex while the storage pool is being expanded??

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you . . . .
F5-221 with 4x5TB drives in Raid 5 (Plex Media Server, TOS 4.2.44)
F4-220 with 2x8TB, 1x6TB in JBOD (Docker, PiHole, Uptime-Kuma, tnfsd-x64, TOS 5.1.123)
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Gandalf1369
Expanding or adding hard drives to RAID does not change the configuration of the system and data related to the application, including your Plex.
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Gandalf1369
United States of America

Post by Gandalf1369 »

@TMzethar

Yes - I understand that expanding the volume does not change the data or configuration. BUT - can I still stream movies and videos from the Plex install WHILE the storage pool is actively being expanded.

Thank you . . .
F4-220 with 2x8TB, 1x6TB in JBOD (Docker, PiHole, Uptime-Kuma, tnfsd-x64, TOS 5.1.123)
TMLeeh

Post by TMLeeh »

@Gandalf1369

When expanding, RAID5 needs to be resynchronized, and the hard drive is in a high-speed read and write state. At this time, the playback of movies and videos may be affected, resulting in an unstable situation.
Gandalf1369
United States of America

Post by Gandalf1369 »

@TMLeeh

Understood. Thank you very much . . . .
vlad

Post by vlad »

This is not working for me. I have a RAID 6 with 4 disks, and I want to add the 5th disk to the RAID. But the is no edit option for the RAID 6 storage pool, I can only delete the RAID 6 pool.

This is the final step of upgrading from a RAID 1 with 2 disks to a RAID 6 with 5 disks.

And after waiting for 3 days to upgrade my RAID 1 to RAID 5 with 3 disks, then another 3 days to upgrade the RAID 5 to a RAID 6 with 4 disks, not being able to add the 5th disk to that RAID 6 is quite frustrating.

The TNAS version is 4.2.40, the hardware is F5-422.

I tried rebooting, it didn't help. There is still no option to edit the storage pool. All disks have the same model and size, and the additional disk is showing in the system:

Return to “Storage”