How to fix a faulty USB initBoot for your TNAS?(x.86)

New system installation, system re-install
polentino

Re: How to fix a faulty USB initBoot for your TNAS?(x.86)

Post by polentino »

Gremlin wrote: 27 Nov 2023, 06:11 Look at the last line above the error. Mentions arm64. I suspect you have the wrong files. This instruction is for intel based platform.
From this page https://www.terra-master.com/uk/product ... nu&mid=774 it says Processor Architecture X.86 64-bit so I thought it was fine.
But now I checked again the original post and saw that my model, F2-422 is not listed among the supported models, while F8-422 is; probably I made a mistake while reading the supported models.

Now my question is: how can I flash my usb stick to get it functioning again?
polentino

Post by polentino »

For anyone struggling into flashing a valid USB drive: the make_install script inside in https://download2.terra-master.com/bzImage.zip contains a bug :!:

Reason: the instructions contained in the zip were very straightforward and easy (kudos to the devs) so I tried to run

Code: Select all

./make_install bzImage
on different machines to see if I could manage to get a valid, bootable USB drive. And then I noticed that the message before the error was slightly different, depending on the machine where I was executing the script, for example:

Installing for arm64-efi platform.

or

Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
which meant that the script was trying to install grub using the architecture of the host machine, instead of the target (TNAS) machine.

Solution: replace this line

grub-install --root-directory=/media/ --force $blk
with this one

grub-install --target=i386-pc --root-directory=/media/ --force $blk
and then run ./make_install bzImage as usual, and you're good to go :)

polentino wrote: 27 Nov 2023, 07:27
Gremlin wrote: 27 Nov 2023, 06:11 Look at the last line above the error. Mentions arm64. I suspect you have the wrong files. This instruction is for intel based platform.
From this page https://www.terra-master.com/uk/product ... nu&mid=774 it says Processor Architecture X.86 64-bit so I thought it was fine.
But now I checked again the original post and saw that my model, F2-422 is not listed among the supported models, while F8-422 is; probably I made a mistake while reading the supported models.

Now my question is: how can I flash my usb stick to get it functioning again?
danno10000
Canada

Post by danno10000 »

It appears my F4-220 is dead. After an upgrade of the latest OS, it continued to work but the drive lights were off. I ignored that and did some backups and it failed during that process.

Then all four drive lights became red, no LAN light. I can’t see the TNAS on my network. I have taken apart my NAS and removed the USB iniboot stick.

The instructions provided are too complicated as I only have Mac computers and no easy access to a Windows PC.

I noticed that the USB device with TOS 5.1 preloaded is available on Amazon. Would that be the solution and far easier than trying to create a USB stick?
dougsmith353
Canada

Post by dougsmith353 »

good afternoon

I have a f5 420 and a f5 422, I did the 8g partition upgrade on the 420 and all went well. I moved everything over to it and waited about a week to make sure all was good.
2 nights ago I tried to do the f5 422, I removed the drives and deleted partitions and reinstalled. Then nothing, no boot.
I tried solution #1 and used a drive from the working f5 420 and booted unit and used putty and still nothing. Tried several times and still nothing.
I sent in an email request for help but have not recieved an anaswer.
So this morning I dropped one of the 5 drives from the f5 422 into the f5 420 and started the rebuild.
Now I have the spare hard drive from the f5 420 that has booted up the f5 422.
Is there a way to use the single drive to redo the entire f5 422?
I have tried the bzimage thing many times and nothing so I am hoping using a working drive can be used.

both the working f5 420 and the booted f5 422 are on 5.1.131 if that helps.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

dougsmith353 wrote: 10 May 2024, 05:56
If your F5-422 won't boot up without a hard drive, it could be USB boot disk corruption.
This may help you:
viewtopic.php?t=1455
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

TMzethar wrote: 10 May 2024, 18:47
dougsmith353 wrote: 10 May 2024, 05:56
If your F5-422 won't boot up without a hard drive, it could be USB boot disk corruption.
This may help you:
viewtopic.php?t=1455
I think you just referenced the thread you are posting in. There are 11 pages of people looking for help on this subject. :roll:
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
haborg

Post by haborg »

Hi is really mad and incredible how Terramaster complex the solution and forward the ugly solution to their users, I am very close to left to use any Terramster NAS just for the OS and the lack of support and thousands of issues , their TOS is impredictable in every model of NAS.

WHY JUST offer or make an IMG of the USB boot drive to just copy in any USB flash drive??? instead of make 1000% effort and just get 1% solution

Can somebody make in advance a img of their usb boot and please put on any cloud drive and share it with love to every single punished soul using any NAS from terramaster

tools for make an image of the USB flash drive
USB Image Tool or
ImageUSB

please make an image (say witch program was used) and share it please
crisisacting

Post by crisisacting »

haborg wrote: 23 May 2024, 04:26
Is that mess of a post expected to be coherent?

It's not provided as a .img because the initboot accepts that file format for updating the bootloader when initializing a TNAS offline.

Differentiating it by having a separate creation process is likely a preventative measure for the above as well as a way to ensure that it's directly sourced from their servers without unauthorized modification.

Return to “Initialization & installation”