[Help] Snapshot consolidation possible? Hourly>Daily>Monthly
Posted: 20 Sep 2026, 23:41
Just started with TerraMaster and using Latest TOS7.x
Ran into an immediate Snapshot problems. On both the filesystem snapshots and shared folder snapshots.
Doing hourly snapshots, the system only allows 1024 snapshots. That is a very short period of time. 44 days.
It should be at least 10,000 snapshots, to be more useful. 30,000 snapshots would be even better, as that would be 3 years.
As they do not take up much space, why such a restrictive current limitation?
My 15 year old NetGear NAS automatically consolidated hourly snapshots> daily > monthly.
So before recently switching to TerraMaster NAS, I had many years of snapshots available to go back to.
If TerraMaster had this feature, a grand total of 1024 snapshots would be more than enough.
TOS 7.x does not seem to have that function, or I can not find it. Does it exist?
If not, I would ask the TerraMaster staff to add this as a new feature for the next update version of TOS7.
What do you say? Thanks.
WORKAROUND?
I created a shared folder called Daily Snapshots on Volume 1, and then a subfolder in there for each shared folder that I want a daily snapshot for. Named after shared folders receiving the snapshots, e.g. Folder-1-Daily, Folder-2-Daily, etc.
Thinking that would allow both hourly snapshots in the regular shared folders (which I am now doing) and then a daily snapshot stored in another location, so both could be made.
But trying to set up the daily snapshot and saving it to a different folder, other than the folder it is taking a snapshot in, is NOT possible.
Can't find a way to point storage of various daily snapshots to a different specific storage folder on the volume.
And then I wanted to do the same for montly snapshots.
I see that you can NOT store more than one type of snapshot (eg. hourly and also daily) in the same shared folder.
They system does not allow this.
Setting up the snapshots, I can not point the storage to those subfolders.
This also tells me that the TOS 7 system limitation is that a snapshot can only be stored in root shared folder. AND NOT OF A SUBFOLDER in that root shared folder.
Can someone please tell me the exact steps to setting up a daily and setting up another monthly snapshot for a particular shared folder that already has hourly snapshot folder in it?
(Each snapshot has to be in a separate subfolder, system does not allow 2 snapshot types in one shared folder).
Can this be done? If not, I would suggest that TerraMaster add this as a second new feature for the next update of TOS7 also.
Ran into an immediate Snapshot problems. On both the filesystem snapshots and shared folder snapshots.
Doing hourly snapshots, the system only allows 1024 snapshots. That is a very short period of time. 44 days.
It should be at least 10,000 snapshots, to be more useful. 30,000 snapshots would be even better, as that would be 3 years.
As they do not take up much space, why such a restrictive current limitation?
My 15 year old NetGear NAS automatically consolidated hourly snapshots> daily > monthly.
So before recently switching to TerraMaster NAS, I had many years of snapshots available to go back to.
If TerraMaster had this feature, a grand total of 1024 snapshots would be more than enough.
TOS 7.x does not seem to have that function, or I can not find it. Does it exist?
If not, I would ask the TerraMaster staff to add this as a new feature for the next update version of TOS7.
What do you say? Thanks.
WORKAROUND?
I created a shared folder called Daily Snapshots on Volume 1, and then a subfolder in there for each shared folder that I want a daily snapshot for. Named after shared folders receiving the snapshots, e.g. Folder-1-Daily, Folder-2-Daily, etc.
Thinking that would allow both hourly snapshots in the regular shared folders (which I am now doing) and then a daily snapshot stored in another location, so both could be made.
But trying to set up the daily snapshot and saving it to a different folder, other than the folder it is taking a snapshot in, is NOT possible.
Can't find a way to point storage of various daily snapshots to a different specific storage folder on the volume.
And then I wanted to do the same for montly snapshots.
I see that you can NOT store more than one type of snapshot (eg. hourly and also daily) in the same shared folder.
They system does not allow this.
Setting up the snapshots, I can not point the storage to those subfolders.
This also tells me that the TOS 7 system limitation is that a snapshot can only be stored in root shared folder. AND NOT OF A SUBFOLDER in that root shared folder.
Can someone please tell me the exact steps to setting up a daily and setting up another monthly snapshot for a particular shared folder that already has hourly snapshot folder in it?
(Each snapshot has to be in a separate subfolder, system does not allow 2 snapshot types in one shared folder).
Can this be done? If not, I would suggest that TerraMaster add this as a second new feature for the next update of TOS7 also.