Page 1 of 2
[Help] Have the NAS restarted after shutdown by my UPS ?
Posted: 23 Aug 2026, 22:16
by Jmb
Hi, I use a F2-223 with TOS7.0.1130.
I successfully connected an UPS thru USB and configured it with the TOS interface.
The shutdown after a certain time (I configured 5mn) works like a charm (security mode and then stopped).
However, when I.plug back power to the UPS, nothing happens to the NAS and I have to manually press the "on" button to restart it.
The "automatic power on" option is activated.
Any idea ?
Re: [Help] Have the NAS restarted after shutdown by my UPS ?
Posted: 24 Aug 2026, 00:13
by rfbjr
My understanding of auto power on is if the NAS didn't have an UPS attached and lost power. I personally I think the UPS shutting down the NAS is a graceful shutdown.
Re: [Help] Have the NAS restarted after shutdown by my UPS ?
Posted: 24 Aug 2026, 02:12
by Gremlin
It may depend on UPS settings which may (possibly) be set independently of the NAS. For example: My APC Smart-ups are setup to wait until battery is back at 15% charge, and/or plus a time delay before it will actually supply power to connected devices. It just depends on what you can do and how it can be done. After the UPS starts supplying power, then the device bios setting may apply (as it sees power actually restored). If the Bios setting it to "Turn Off/stay Off" (or similar), it may not pass power to the operating system. Only when the operating system sees power is any software setting likely to apply.
Re: [Help] Have the NAS restarted after shutdown by my UPS ?
Posted: 24 Aug 2026, 08:24
by Jmb
Thank you @gremlin. In my use case, as I've setup the cut at 5mn, my battery was still very full so the power never went away.
Re: [Help] Have the NAS restarted after shutdown by my UPS ?
Posted: 24 Aug 2026, 11:32
by Jmb
@rfbjr and @Gremlin, it seems to me that to be able to restart, the power must be cut when the NAS is not completely stopped.
My question to the community : does the ups function in TOS7 send a command such as shutdown.return to the UPS before completely stopping the nas ?
Re: [Help] Have the NAS restarted after shutdown by my UPS ?
Posted: 24 Aug 2026, 16:36
by CursaYang
Automatic power-on after power restoration currently only supports scenarios involving an abnormal power loss.
When a UPS is connected and performs a delayed safe shutdown, the NAS undergoes a software shutdown while the UPS continues to supply standby power to the motherboard. Since the hardware itself has not experienced a complete power loss, the NAS will not automatically power on when mains power is restored. In this case, the power button must be pressed manually.
We are currently working to optimize this functionality. Once there is any confirmed progress, we will inform users as soon as possible.
In the meantime, you can temporarily use the Scheduled Task feature as an alternative to the “Power On After Power Loss” function. You can configure the NAS to power on automatically at a scheduled time, providing a similar workaround.
Re: [Help] Have the NAS restarted after shutdown by my UPS ?
Posted: 24 Aug 2026, 16:57
by Gremlin
Not really helpfull in the current scenario, but I think I get your point. (Turning on at a specific time is silly, because the "specific time" is "when the power comes back"). So, currently, the situation would be to:
Bring the nas to a 'halt' (low/standby power) condition via tos settings.
Turn off the UPS (automated turn off) after a period of time*
When power returns, turn on the ups (automated turn on)
Nas returns to stand by power (depending on Bios)
Tos sees power return and turns on (or not) based on Tos settings.
All depending on whether the user has a UPS capable of doing this and they want to spend the time figuring it out and doing the configuration.
*This also ignores the fact that other devices may be attached to the nas and require different handling.
Someone actually designed this?
Re: [Help] Have the NAS restarted after shutdown by my UPS ?
Posted: 24 Aug 2026, 18:17
by CursaYang
The trigger mechanism for automatic power-on after power restoration is based on the NAS experiencing an external power interruption followed by power being restored, meaning there must be a “power off and power on” event.
However, when the NAS is connected to the output of a UPS, the UPS continues to supply power to the NAS before and after mains power is restored. From the NAS’s perspective, there is no actual “power off and power on” event, so the automatic power-on function cannot be triggered.
Re: [Help] Have the NAS restarted after shutdown by my UPS ?
Posted: 25 Aug 2026, 01:39
by Gremlin
Can you confirm that TOS does NOT send a 'Kill Power Signal' ("nutshutdown") at the completion of the shutdown sequence? Might this be factored in to the reconfiguration and optimisation as a user option? Possibly makes for a clearer user implementation when adopting system policies.
I have noticed one thing with the F2-425+ while checking some of this. The NAS appears to always turn on whether in 'halt'(lights on) or 'poweroff'(lights off) state when the power is physically removed and re-applied (regardless of BIOS setting).
Re: [Help] Have the NAS restarted after shutdown by my UPS ?
Posted: 25 Aug 2026, 02:40
by Jmb
I've read that TrueNAS is doing something like the "kill power signal" and that it is a user parameter (send the command or not).
My ups (CPS, ST Series) supports the nut command "shutdown.return" that instructs the UPS to cut the exit power and put it back when the input power comes back.
If TOS 7 would be able to send this nut command at the end of it's own power down procedure rather than shutting down it's own power it would work I think.
I was trying to do this with a nut container and manage my own procedure, but since 7.0.1130 I can't get my own nut driver to run neither ...
I'll have a look at the proposed turn around.