Upgrading from F2-221 to F5-221

Initialization of newly purchased TNAS or re-installation of your TNAS
rightLANE

Upgrading from F2-221 to F5-221

Post by rightLANE »

I’m interested in upgrading my current NAS, an F2-221, to an F5-221. I currently have my F2 set up with 2x4TB drives in a RAID1 configuration and want to purchase an additional 2x4TB drives + an F5-221 and configure it in RAID5. How would I go about performing this upgrade and keep my data? I assume I would do something along the following:
1. Install 1 of my current ‘used’ drives in the new F5.
2. Install the 2 blank drives and upgrade the storage pool to RAID5 using the Online RAID Migration option.
3. Wait for the system to copy my data over to the new drives and verify my data is in place (allowing me to keep my second ‘used’ drive on the side with all my data backed up)
4. Once I confirm everything is good, install the second ‘used’ drive and add it to the storage pool using the Adding HDDs to RAID option.
My biggest question, is when installing the first ‘used’ drive, will the new NAS recognize it as having data and already set-up for use in a Terramaster NAS, and how does it need to be set up? Most of the other steps are straight forward and already clearly documented. I want to make sure I understand the process ahead of time to limit downtime and not lose my data. Thanks.
F2-221 2x 10TB Exos X14
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Re: Upgrading from F2-221 to F5-221

Post by TMS »

Hi,
Please turn off F2-221, insert two disks of RAID1 into F5-221, and then turn on F5-221. You can then continue using RAID1 without any setup.
1. RAID migration requires a complete array to proceed, please refer to this link viewtopic.php?f=75&t=1544
2. After the migration is completed, please refer to "Adding HDDS to RAID" viewtopic.php?f=75&t=1542
3. Note : the capacity of the new hard disk cannot be less than the size of the original RAID hard disk, other precautions pay attention to the content of the guidelines
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
rightLANE

Re: Upgrading from F2-221 to F5-221

Post by rightLANE »

Thanks for the quick response. The setup is quicker/easier than I had assumed.
F2-221 2x 10TB Exos X14

Return to “Initialization”