D5-300C Random Shutdown

USB RAID storage for photographers, music producers, movie collectors
brick

D5-300C Random Shutdown

Post by brick »

In June 2020 (so approx 6 months ago) I purchased a terra master D5-300C and populated it with 5 disks, with disk 1&2 matched and configured in raid 1. Disks 3-5 are populated with 2 matched 4tbs disks and 1tb disk.

It seemed to work fine and I was quite pleased with the performance and functionality of the device. Recently the device has begun to shutdown randomly and in the middle of use. It might work fine for a week and then I will notice my disks cannot be read and when I look at the device - ALL lights and fans are off and I have to restart the device. This is happening more and more frequently. Once it does one of these unexpected shut downs, then it will do it a bunch of times in quick succession. This morning it did it 4 times in about 2-3 hours. However once it stays up for a prolonged period then it will probably stay up for around a week before it shuts down again.

Without being an electronics expert I am suspecting the power supply is not adequate or is overheating. The device is situated in a room with an ambient temperature of about 19-20°C.

I am hoping you can help me, as it is causing me major issues and the reliability is poor.
brick

Re: D5-300C Random Shutdown

Post by brick »

Just a follow up - it kept happening. Device would die and if I noticed then I would manually start it up - but on a couple of occasions now i just didnt do anything. Sitting right beside the device - I would notice that it would die based on LEDs and fans. When i look in my logs I can see that I have" USB Disconnected" for each disk. So the device is definitely going down.

However if I leave it off (a couple of minutes) - then it will eventually restart on its own.

This is currently happening approx once an hour. So whatever the cause has now got significantly worse.

Is there any Terramaster employee on these forums that I can talk to about getting to root cause, and seeing as the device is only 6 months old - start to see what my options are for getting it fixed.
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMRyan »

Hello,
Sorry! Product problems bring you a bad experience!
Your product may have a problem with the POWER switch button, or a problem with the power adapter. If you use the correct original power adapter and still have a problem, please contact us on the purchase platform to replace the new device.
I wish you an early resolution of this issue. Thanks for the support! For more inquiries, please contact TerraMaster team online.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
brick

Post by brick »

@TMRyan

I bought it through amazon.co.uk and as such I will contact the terramaster store through there.
brick

Post by brick »

@TMRyan

On Friday I contacted the TerraMaster store on Amazon.co.uk and have had no reply. Do you have a means to escalate or contact them?

Right now I am having significant issues with random shutdowns. I do appear to have suffered significant inadvertent data loss but it is only a matter of time before something does go badly wrong for me.
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

{L_BUTTON_AT}brick
Hi,we will confirm it.
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMRyan »

{L_BUTTON_AT}brick
Sorry, We contacted the relevant personnel and they did not receive the email address. Can you send another email (support_uk@terra-master.com)?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
brick

Post by brick »

@TMRyan

Apologies, maybe I used a different email address, but I will send the email again from the same email address as I am registered here.
brick

Post by brick »

@TMRyan

I have sent the email to support_uk@terra-master.com with the subject "D5-300C Random Shutdown".

Would it be possible to follow up with them?

Thanks,
Stephen
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMRyan »

{L_BUTTON_AT}brick
Hello,
They have received your email and will contact you as soon as possible.

Have a good day!