Nextcloud - security and setup warnings plus updating

Discussion about CloudSync.
yerc1

Nextcloud - security and setup warnings plus updating

Post by yerc1 »

The Nexcloud app from Terramaster is version 16, which has reached end of life in June 2020.

I look forward to getting the update according to this post.

Even as the software team at TM are working on the new version, can they please check that the issues with version 16 do not carry over to the new version?

I'm referring to the Security and setup warnings displayed when I go to Settings, Overview (under Administration).
Attachments
Nextcloud message1.png
Nextcloud message2.png
F2-221
is my first NAS, bought in October 2020
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: Nextcloud - security and setup warnings plus updating

Post by TMSupport »

We will contact with Nextcloud with the reported issue.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
yerc1

Post by yerc1 »

@ TMSupport how close are we to the Nextcloud update?

Those security warnings do not inspire confidence for the existing Nextcloud app for TOS even if it appears to be working.
F2-221
yerc1

Post by yerc1 »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMSupport
We will contact with Nextcloud with the reported issue.
I would appreciate an update on this. Please.
F2-221
JayBlingham

Post by JayBlingham »

I would be interested in news on this as well, as I would like to start installing/using NextCloud. I am going through the installation right now, and it is extremely slow to install. Starts at 50%, but then increments extremely slowly. After almost 15 minutes its still only managed to get to 76% installed. Nothing else I've installed/configured on m F5-221 has been this slow. Maybe that's a different issue, but if there is an update forthcoming I'll wait until it is released to see if this corrects the install issue.

Thanks
Jay
---------------------------------------
F5-221, 5.0.171-00221
JayBlingham

Post by JayBlingham »

I would say this is actually a pretty big security concern since the software is actually out of date by a whole major version level. I'm noticing more and more that there seems to be some difficulty in keeping up with application updates, not just to keep us at the latest and greatest, but to even maintain these applications within an N-1 to N-2 version level.

I of all people understand that the focus should be on the core functionality of NAS, but if the applications are offered in the "App Store" they should be maintained within a supportable release. Especially for those individuals and/or businesses/enterprises who are going to expose things like Nextcloud to the internet to be able to access them remotely. Under most circumstances these are not security minded individuals who understand the risks they are taking.

My Nextcloud specifically says "The version you are running is not maintained anymore", and the auto-update feature provided by Nextcloud does not function.
Jay
F5-221, 5.0.171-00221
yerc1

Post by yerc1 »

TM Support, I also want to add to what Jay just posted.

In relation to the deafening silence on Nextcloud, please remember that TM customers need information to guide their decision-making. If there's no update coming, just let us know together with the reason why - plus, remove the out-of-support Nextcloud from the App list. You and everyone in this forum are mature individuals who can manage news, whether good or bad.
F2-221
JayBlingham

Post by JayBlingham »

yerc1 wrote: 15 Jan 2021, 06:35 TM Support, I also want to add to what Jay just posted.

In relation to the deafening silence on Nextcloud, please remember that TM customers need information to guide their decision-making. If there's no update coming, just let us know together with the reason why. You and everyone in this forum are mature individuals who can manage news, whether good or bad.
Fantastic point @yerc1. If the answer is "no we can't/won't focus on this now", then please just be forthcoming. We're all adults here. This will give us the information needed to make an informed decision to either remove the software and look for a solution using Docker, or look for alternative means to host/implement. Although I must reiterate, there should be some investment in the efforts to maintain current (supported) versions of the software you offer in your "app store". To me, this is a make-it-or-break-it item that customers will notice, and should be a core dedication along side bug fixes, and OS enhancements.
Jay
F5-221, 5.0.171-00221
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

We will look into this part with our managers.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
JayBlingham

Post by JayBlingham »

Thank you @TMroy, that is all we can ask :)
Jay
F5-221, 5.0.171-00221