SSD Cache = slower transfer speed?

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
SteveJY

Re: SSD Cache = slower transfer speed?

Post by SteveJY »

Do you know of any way to easily stress test the SSD rather than just transferring files over? That's what I'm doing at the moment, but as it's only a 500Gb drive it's filled pretty quickly. I can't just leave it transferring all day/night without intervention to see if it crashes.

Assuming I do need to start from scratch for a 3rd time, would you recommend a full format of the drives in Windows, or doesn't it matter how they're formatted as long as they're wiped before going back in the NAS?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

500GB is good enough to replicate the issue. When you finish 500GB transfer, you can keep it working for 2~3 days, maybe you can delete all SSD data and repeat a transfer, if it work all fine, that mean there is not issue in your device or system.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
SteveJY

Post by SteveJY »

My concern is that the NAS had been in use for the best part of a day before any error occurred. I'd done some testing and moved a few Tb of data over to the drive before it crashed. It's hard to replicate that continuous usage with the small SSD.

That said, I've been running with just the SSD for around 24 hours now and I've repeatedly transferred then deleted 500gb of data without any errors. I'm going to keep the SSD working a little longer then fully reformat the HDDs. I'm just hoping that I don't experience the same problem again when the HDDs are reinstalled.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

I am surely tell you that your TNAS hardware and your TOS system has no issue. please format your hard drives and try again.
By the way, what file system you set to your hard drive? EXT4 or btrfs?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
SteveJY

Post by SteveJY »

Btrfs
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

how is your device running now?
SteveJY

Post by SteveJY »

I ended up cancelling the full format part way through wiping the first drive because of the excessive time it was taking to complete the process - based on the progress indicator it would take well over 24 hours per 12tb drive. Instead I just deleted the partitions in Windows disk management and performed a quick format on each.

I installed TOS 4.1.30 using the default online installation, created a RAID10 with the 4 drives, and set it transferring over data. After running for about 15 hours and receiving 4.2Tb of data without error it crashed again.

Are there any logs I can check that might indicate what's going wrong?

Can you confirm whether I need to fully format the drives before reinstalling? If so, is there a quicker way of achieving the result than using the Windows tools?

From the look of it full formatting in Windows would take about a week to complete for all the drives. Obviously it would be frustrating to spend another week waiting to test this again only to get the same stability problems. I'd rather not leave it too long if I'm going to need to return the product to Amazon.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

By the way, what drive model number of your four drives?
SteveJY

Post by SteveJY »

WD120EMFZ
Hardfecx

Post by Hardfecx »

SteveJY wrote: 16 Dec 2020, 02:36WD120EMFZ
Try a Raid5