Duplicate layer of sub-folders in backup task

Duple Backup has powerful backup and restore functions, and is a disaster recovery tool designed to strengthen the data security of TNAS devices. To prevent data loss due to TNAS device hardware failure or system failure, through Duple Backup's intuitive user menu, you can back up important folders or iSCSI LUNs in TNAS to multiple destinations (such as remote TNAS devices, file servers, or cloud disks) ), and supports multiple backup strategies of incremental backup and multi-version backup. The backup and restore process is very simple and intuitive, and can quickly restore lost data in the event of a device failure.
RangerDoc
United States of America

Duplicate layer of sub-folders in backup task

Post by RangerDoc »

I've just joined and a search didn't find a solution.

I've just purchased two F4-424 Pros. One is going to be my Plex server, and the other is a backup for that server.

I've read the article on selecting the best backup options and I've settled on Duple Backup, Incremental mode. That way when I add a movie or TV show the incremental backup will run later that week and automatically copy the new files.

When I create the backup task, I select the source folder, then I have to select the destination folder. I selected the root "Public" folder, but then I'm forced to select a sub-folder. So I create a sub-folder with the same name as the source.

I would think this would just duplicate the source, but instead I get a sub-folder within a sub-folder. Here's an example...

Source: >Public>Shared Music>...

Destination: >Public>Shared Music>Shared Music>...

How can I remove this duplicate layer of the sub-folder?

Thanks.
TMgevin

Re: Duplicate layer of sub-folders in backup task

Post by TMgevin »

RangerDoc wrote: 08 May 2024, 01:22
The primary goal of creating subfolders is to prevent accidental file overwriting during backup, especially when source folders share the same name. To distinguish between various backup or source folders effectively, it is advisable to use descriptive and unique names for these subfolders. This practice ensures the integrity and accuracy of your backups.
RangerDoc
United States of America

Post by RangerDoc »

TMgevin wrote: 08 May 2024, 09:20
RangerDoc wrote: 08 May 2024, 01:22
The primary goal of creating subfolders is to prevent accidental file overwriting during backup, especially when source folders share the same name. To distinguish between various backup or source folders effectively, it is advisable to use descriptive and unique names for these subfolders. This practice ensures the integrity and accuracy of your backups.
That’s not useful when you’re dealing with two physically distinct NAS’s. The entire point of this backup is to mirror the source. I WANT to overwrite the destination every time there’s a change in the source. I don’t know of any established IT practices that would have a backup arbitrarily create an extra layer of sub-folders just for the sake of creating a sub-folder.

As I said, I want to remove this “feature.” Is there any way to turn this off?
TMgevin

Post by TMgevin »

RangerDoc wrote: 08 May 2024, 10:35
Hello, currently this feature does not support turning off, but we are actively evaluating your needs and exploring its feasibility. If after evaluation it is deemed that canceling this feature meets the needs of the majority of users, we will consider implementing this change in future version updates. Thank you for your valuable feedback, we will continue to work hard to improve the product experience.
RangerDoc
United States of America

Post by RangerDoc »

Thank you for the responses.

Instead of Duple Backup, does your implementation of rsync have this same issue?

I did take a brief look at it and it seems like the only option with it is a complete volume backup, which would make me use a single task rather than the three I have now, but if it does the same sub-folder creation then there’s no need to change.
TMgevin

Post by TMgevin »

RangerDoc wrote: 08 May 2024, 21:02
Rsync backup only supports selecting shared folders, and only the Duple Backup application supports volume data backup.

Of course, there is another way to use the Centralized Backup application. This method is to use your target TNAS as a file server and use SMB or Rsync to back up to other TNAS. However, this application also only supports the selection of shared folders.

I still recommend that you use Duple Backup will be better.

Return to “Duple Backup”