TRAID Array with four 12TB HDDs only 4.06TB

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
chestymassif
United States of America

TRAID Array with four 12TB HDDs only 4.06TB

Post by chestymassif »

Hi all,

I got an F4-424 yesterday and installed four 12TB HDDs in it, they are all recognized appropriately in TOS. I was initially on TOS 5.1.12 and initialized the system with a TRAID array, which showed would have 36TB usable space. Once synchronization started, it said 4.06TB but I let it finish and the storage pool still said 4.06TB. I updated to TOS 6.0.229 and tried deleting and re-adding the array with the same results. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Attachments
Confirm Setup.png
Storage Pool.png
Volume.png
Hard Drive.png
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: TRAID Array with four 12TB HDDs only 4.06TB

Post by TMroy »

This is a strange phenomenon. Please export a system report and send it to the support email.

To generate a system report:
TOS > help and support > report issue > generate report
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
chestymassif
United States of America

Post by chestymassif »

Thanks, report sent!
chestymassif
United States of America

Post by chestymassif »

I haven't heard back yet, but I isolated the problem to one of the hard drives.

Once I add it to a storage pool, it creates four partitions, with the last partition only being 1.4T instead of 10.9T like the others. I have run S.M.A.R.T tests and a full bad block scan (in TOS6) with no errors. I attached the drive to my Mac, and Disk Utility showed the same "12TB" capacity, but fully allocated partitions at 285M/7.6G/1.9G/1.4T. I formatted the drive on my Mac into exFAT format, and the ful capacity in a single portion showed. When I reattached it to my TNAS, TOS showed the HDD with a single 12TB partition correctly. I then went to add the drive to a storage pool, and it formatted it again with the smaller partition sizes. I can't tell if it's a HDD problem or otherwise at this point but all of my HDD tests are normal. I'm running a "Secure Erase" on the drive using TOS6 right now.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

chestymassif wrote: 10 May 2024, 20:13
We have found the system report you sent. Verifying in progress.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
chestymassif
United States of America

Post by chestymassif »

Sounds good. The secure erase completed and I'm still having the same results. I can create a single disk storage pool and volume in either BTRFS or EXT4 and everything works as it should, but the incorrect partitions are created when I add this disk to a storage pool with any other disk(s).
chestymassif
United States of America

Post by chestymassif »

Sorry for the repeat reply, just wanted to add that if I add all four disks to a RAID10 array, I get the correct capacity, however TRAID Plus has the same results as TRAID has.

Return to “Storage”