Installiing Openmediavault on F4-423

Topics about hardware platform, power, memory, UPS, network adapter
rz259
Germany

Installiing Openmediavault on F4-423

Post by rz259 »

Hello,

i've got a question - I'd like to install Openmediavault (OMV) on a Terramaster F4-423 on a M.2 SSD.

I've managed to install OMV on a normal disk but I'd like to install it on a SSD - before I buy the SSD I'dlike to make sure if that is possible since officially the SSDs are only meant as a cache - is it possible to install the OS (in my case Debian Linux + OMV) on the SSD?

Thanks a lot for yoour help,

Rudi
crisisacting

Re: Installiing Openmediavault on F4-423

Post by crisisacting »

As long as you've updated the UEFI on your 423 to the latest @ viewtopic.php?f=82&t=4238&p=30399#p30399, you should be able to change the boot order to facilitate using an alternate OS (though you should remove the internal USB initboot drive to really prevent TOS altogether).

The ×86 TNAS devices are just a low-power PCs, so you can use its storage interfaces within the options available through UEFI; booting from a m.2 is possible, as long as it's NVMe (it will be limited to PCIe Gen 3 ×1 due to lane limitations of the Celeron SoC used).
rz259
Germany

Re: Installiing Openmediavault on F4-423

Post by rz259 »

Thanks for your advice. I bought a M.2-SSD and inserted it in the 423. I also replaced the internal usb drive with a usb drive containing the installation media for OpenMediaVault. I installed it on the M.2-SSD drive

Everything worked fine, y 423 is now running OMV from the SSD-drive without problems - even wihout the latest UEFI software.

Return to “Hardware, Power and Accessories”