The TOS 6 Beta Is Now Available for Public Testing

Official news about TOS, mobile app, PC app updates or beta releases
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: The TOS 6 Beta Is Now Available for Public Testing

Post by TMroy »

Gremlin wrote: 31 Mar 2024, 06:09
Nope, the drive makers not always tell you the true! You don't even know how they determine whether their hard drives are healthy or not, or what the criteria are for their judgment, right? They have never made it public, have they? Our engineers have more than 16 years of experience working with hard drives and have accumulated extensive understanding of them. We have our own interpretation of the health status of hard drives. You can also find online that the command_timeout is indeed a key parameter. Blackblaze also has experts who have studied hard drives for years, and you can find similar answers in their research reports. Here is just one of the examples:https://www.backblaze.com/blog/what-sma ... -failures/
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
crisisacting

Post by crisisacting »

TMroy wrote: 31 Mar 2024, 10:31 We did.
viewtopic.php?t=5486
That's just a feature listing.

How about a changelog for fixes and additions in each of these new builds?
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

TMroy wrote: 31 Mar 2024, 10:56
Gremlin wrote: 31 Mar 2024, 06:09
Nope, the drive makers not always tell you the true! You don't even know how they determine whether their hard drives are healthy or not, or what the criteria are for their judgment, right? They have never made it public, have they? Our engineers have more than 16 years of experience working with hard drives and have accumulated extensive understanding of them. We have our own interpretation of the health status of hard drives. You can also find online that the command_timeout is indeed a key parameter. Blackblaze also has experts who have studied hard drives for years, and you can find similar answers in their research reports. Here is just one of the examples:https://www.backblaze.com/blog/what-sma ... -failures/
I have read the quoted article previously (many times actually) and when TNAS issued (supposed) errors on my hard drive. But in that instance (and like others on this forum) the embedded Manufacturer's health indicators did not recognise the same error and declared the drive(s) healthy. Likewise many third party apps (including those of manufacturers) did not report the drive as anything but healthy. I guess the question then becomes "Are TNAS health warnings more reliable than all the years of experience accumulated by manufacturers?" - For now my TNAS drive warnings are turned off.
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
Tricky
Great Britain

Post by Tricky »

Call me suspicious but I can't help but wonder are TM starting to favor certain makes of drive and just like some of the RAM that can't be used in the TNAS will we start to find HDDs the same if not the "approved" make.
MisterXY
Germany

Post by MisterXY »

Is it possible that TOS 6 can't load iso files via "mount -o ro,loop"
with V5.1 its look like fine.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Gremlin wrote: 31 Mar 2024, 16:20
Regarding disk health warnings, I believe it's more of a matter of scale rather than reliability. Specific issues require specific analysis. If you can point out the irrationalities in the warnings you received, it would actually be more practically meaningful.

Moreover,
1. Are you suggesting that TerraMaster shouldn't provide any hints in this regard? Don't you think it has any value?
2. Since hard drive manufacturers haven't made their monitoring standards public, otherwise, we wouldn't need to waste manpower developing our own monitoring standards. In fact, we really hope they can provide such monitoring tools!
3. Besides, warnings are just warnings, meant to remind you to pay attention. Undoubtedly, the only ones who have a say in the health of a hard drive are the disk manufacturers, because they decide whether your disk meets their warranty conditions. Any other third-party monitoring tools can only serve as a reference.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Tricky wrote: 31 Mar 2024, 16:46 Call me suspicious but I can't help but wonder are TM starting to favor certain makes of drive and just like some of the RAM that can't be used in the TNAS will we start to find HDDs the same if not the "approved" make.
I myself don't know if there is such a plan up to now.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

MisterXY wrote: 31 Mar 2024, 18:24 Is it possible that TOS 6 can't load iso files via "mount -o ro,loop"
with V5.1 its look like fine.
Why did you ask so?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

crisisacting wrote: 31 Mar 2024, 15:33
We do not have such changelog from the tech team right now, but we can ask the same questions to them.
MisterXY
Germany

Post by MisterXY »

i have very often a Login Timeout but i have not set a log-out time.

Return to “Update Notice”