newbie needing advice on DLNA...

Photo, music, video management; Video streaming, decoding, transcoding.
SteveFreeman
Great Britain

newbie needing advice on DLNA...

Post by SteveFreeman »

Hi, I've been using a Buffalo LS441D for over 10 years and it's never missed a beat, with 4x 4TB HDD, RAID 5, and built-in Twonky DLNA.

I am hoping to repurpose it soon, and I'm looking at a higher performance unit like a TM F4-423, or a similar Synology, or building a small PC with TrueNAS or similar on it, to replace it. The option of >4TB disks is useful too, as the Buffalo is getting quite full.

The current NAS stores disk image backups of all my PCs, regularly backed-up files-in-progress, and 10's of thousands of music and video files.All the media plays perfectly to all my TVs and media players around the house over my LAN. This is includes perfect playback of huge, high data rate 4K videos. and 24/192 are trivial to handle.

I realize that I have a number of choices for DLAN servers for all the new NAS units I'm looking at, and I have been playing with Emby and Jellyfin server on a Win 10 PC just to get a feel for them. They are massively over complex for my needs, and this, I suspect, leads to bugs that I have found and reported, but Emby and Jellyfin aren't likely to fix my small issues (blurry cover art / lack of using embedded cover art in mucic files - all very basic stuff, you'd think). Simpler servers like Universal Media Server is the best simple server I have found yet for PC, and the Twonky on my Buffalo works OK - I don't need connections to web streamers, or lookups for tag data (all my music files are already perfect), or transcoding (I have no device that won't cope with any file I have).

----> So to my question - is there a basic, reliable, simple DLNA server available that "just works" on a TM F4-423, without needing hours of faffing and head scratching? I'd be happy with UMS if it worked on a Terramaster as well as it does on my PC!
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Re: newbie needing advice on DLNA...

Post by TMzethar »

TNAS, including F4-423, supports the use of DLNA multimedia servers.
It should be noted that the hard drive used for TNAS needs to be reformatted. Therefore, you need to backup data or prepare additional new hard drives.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
SteveFreeman
Great Britain

Post by SteveFreeman »

Thanks, but my question (perhaps not clear) was what are the options for a basic DLNA server on f4-423?
I'm excluding Plex and similar as being way more than I need, just to serve video and music files on my LAN.

[And yes, I am doubly backed up!]
SteveFreeman
Great Britain

Post by SteveFreeman »

SteveFreeman wrote: 31 Mar 2024, 22:19 Thanks, **** but my question (perhaps not clear) was what are the options for a basic DLNA server on f4-423?
I'm excluding Plex and similar as being way more than I need, just to serve video and music files on my LAN.

[And yes, I am doubly backed up!]
**** I am unable to edit the post for some reason, but I was going to include: "I am aware that the f4-423 can host DLNA, "

Return to “DLNA/Multimedia Services”