Problem with TOS 6 and system partition smaller than 8Gbyte

The discussion here is limited to topics related to the system update itself. Please post the functional issues after the system update to the corresponding other forums.
fabry68

Problem with TOS 6 and system partition smaller than 8Gbyte

Post by fabry68 »

Hello.
I had an issue trying to update TOS from last 5.x to 6.0beta, because system partition was too small (I had 2.9Gb, but 8Gbyte system partition is required).

I want to explain how I solved (now I am running 6 beta) without any data loss:

My system partition was only 2.6Gbyte; using ssh, i checked with "df -h"
Then, I have checked raid devices with: "cat /proc/mdstat"

/dev/md9 is a raid-1 and is the system (root) partition; raid menbers are all the 5 drives (sda2, sdb2, sdc2, sdd2, sde2)
/dev/md8 is a raid-1 and is the swap partition; raid menbers are all the 5 drives (sda3, sdb3, sdc3, sdd3, sde3)
/dev/md0 is a raid-5 and is the data partition (/dev/sda4, /dev/sdb4, /dev/sdc4, /dev/sdd4, /dev/sde4)

With fdisk -l I see that only /dev/sda has the second partition (sda2) of 7.6 Gbyte; the other 4 drives have a smaller partition.
But all the 5 drives have the 4th partition starting from the same sector, so there is free space on the 4 drives (sdb -- sde).

What I have done ?

For every drive, starting from sdb through sde:

mdadm --fail /dev/md8 /dev/sdb3
mdadm --remove /dev/md8 /dev/sdb3

mdadm --fail /dev/md9 /dev/sdb2
mdadm --remove /dev/md9 /dev/sdb2

fdisk /dev/sdb
delete partitions 2 and 3
create again partitions 2 and 3; on second partition use the first sector available, and use the same ending sector of the sda2 partition.
create partition 3 using first and last sector available.

Insert again devices on raid units:
mdadm --add /dev/md8 /dev/sdb3
mdadm --add /dev/md9 /dev/sdb2

Wait some seconds for rebuild, and then procede with sdc/sdd/sde

A the end:
mdadm --grow /dev/md9 --size=max
resize2fs /dev/md9

now your system partition is 7.6Gbyte and you can successfully install TOS 6 :)

Hope that can help someone.
Fabrizio

I had no data loss or similar, but you will choose to make a backup copy or not.

Return to “System Update”