Is it posible to take off HDD from D5-300 and put in another D5-300?

USB RAID storage for photographers, music producers, movie collectors
strimoli

Is it posible to take off HDD from D5-300 and put in another D5-300?

Post by strimoli »

Hello,
I have 3 questions please:

1) The first question is:
if I have a perfectly working Terramaster D5-300 in Raid 5 quite full of data, and I want to take off all my 5 HDDs and store them for some month, is it possible? and then after some months (or years), put these 5 HDD in a different Terramaster but same model D5-300 (a new D5-300 I will buy in the future), is it possible?

All the 5 HDD are working and also the Terramaster D5-300 is working perfectly.
I just want to know, please, if I can take off all the 5 HDD and then further on put them again in the same D5-300 or in a new one I will buy...

There are some risks of loosing data or that the new D5-300 will not recognize my 5 HDD raid 5 ?

2) This second question is not related to the first one. In this second question I am talking about another hardware (different Terramaster, different HDD).

The question is:
I have (another) Terramaster D5-300 in Raid 5 with 5 HDDs quite full of data, but is not working. I mean all the led are greens, the "RAID manager software" show a "OK norma" Status but when connected to the PC, Windows only ask for format and show that the disk is "not accessible" (with the common phrase: "the volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted").
The problem could be data loss (although unlikely since all HDDs have all green lights), or, more simply, there is hardware damage to the Terramaster that does not concern the HDDs.
The question is: can I take off the 5 HDDs (that are in Raid 5) from this not-working Terramaster, buy a new D5-300 and put these 5 HDD in the new Terramaster D5-300 ?

Before pay for a recover service, before send this not-working Terramaster to the technical assistance, can I do that test? or is there any risk of losing data if I put these 5 HDDs into a different NEW Terramaster D5-300?

3) If, in your opinion, I can do both of what indicated in question 1 and in question 2, there are any other tips or rules or prescriptions that I must follow?

Thank you in advance, and sorry for my English that is not perfect...
Regards,
Stefano
gustafsson
Iceland

Re: Is it posible to take off HDD from D5-300 and put in another D5-300?

Post by gustafsson »

Did you ever get an answer to your question?
I would like to know the answer.

I need to remove the raided drives with almost 10TB without deleting them, just be be able to test the enclosure with different drives. The reason is that I am only getting 18MB/s read and write speeds.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

You can use the new D5-300 to recognise hard drives and RAID from the old D5-300 without additional other operations.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

gustafsson wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 22:28
If your device is also a D5-300 like the owner, your idea will work. When you put the original hard drives back in and boot up the D5-300, you can still access the data on the drives.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)

Return to “USB Series”