How to Install and Initialize My Newly Purchased TNAS Device?

New system installation, system re-install
Gremlin
Great Britain

Re: How to install and initialize my newly purchased TNAS device?

Post by Gremlin »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Gandalf1369

I can't speak for widows native software. For a long time I have relied on 3rd party partition managers which just "work" for me.

(Just in process of recovering TRAID due to a failing Ironwolf drive only 11 month old!!)
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
crisisacting

Post by crisisacting »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Gandalf1369
Connect the drive to a Windows PC, then run an elevated command prompt session.

Code: Select all

diskpart 

list disk 
figure out which number is the newly connected drive

sel disk #
replaced # with the correct number

clean
That will leave the drive uninitialized.
Gandalf1369
United States of America

Post by Gandalf1369 »

Just wanted to post a status on the problem of re-installing/upgrading TOS on my system.

I FINALLY was successful in installing a fresh version of TOS 5.195 on my F4-220. What did the trick was WIPING all three hard drives and NOT just formatting them. I used a third party software to do the wipes.

I also want to thank @Gremlin and @crisisacting for taking the time to respond and trying to help me resolve this problem. Much appreciated!! Also thank you to Terra-Master support on this forum for giving me the hint about "bad blocks".
F5-221 with 4x5TB drives in Raid 5 (Plex Media Server, TOS 4.2.44)
F4-220 with 2x8TB, 1x6TB in JBOD (Docker, PiHole, Uptime-Kuma, tnfsd-x64, TOS 5.1.123)
Buff

Re: How to Install and Initialize My Newly Purchased TNAS Device?

Post by Buff »

Hi all,

Apologies if this isn't the correct place for this question - first time here. I'm thinking of purchasing either the F4-212 NAS or the D4-320 DAS and I wanted to ask whether data on a previously used HDD would/could be kept intact when installing on either the NAS or DAS? I'm assuming not, as I've read that HDDs are formatted when put into such devices, but I wasn't sure if that was just specific to certain brands or models - I've not had either a NAS or DAS in the past and not that tech savvy, so forgive the basic question.

Secondly, some of the old drives (WD Blue & Green) that I have, which I was planning on using in the NAS/DAS seem to be "Not Recommended" on both the compatibility lists - even some of the newer drives (BarraCuda 8TB or Exos 16TB) aren't recommended for the NAS, but some are ok for the DAS. Is there a reason for this? And what is likely to happen if they are used? Not planning to necessarily go against the list, but is it more that they simply won't be recognised, or more serious that they could damage the NAS/DAS?

Many thanks for your help.
TMgevin

Post by TMgevin »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Buff

The hard drive used for NAS will be formatted. Hard drives used for DAS can be directly identified.
The quality of some ordinary desktop computer hard drives may not be enough to support 24-hour uninterrupted operation of the NAS. Enterprise-grade disks are reliable, but noisy.
Buff

Post by Buff »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Buff
TMgevin wrote: 06 Mar 2024, 21:55 The hard drive used for NAS will be formatted. Hard drives used for DAS can be directly identified. The quality of some ordinary desktop computer hard drives may not be enough to support 24-hour uninterrupted operation of the NAS. Enterprise-grade disks are reliable, but noisy.
Thanks for your help TMgevin
Philoctotes
United States of America

Post by Philoctotes »

Is it possible to do my initial F4-223 setup without any HD installed?

1) I want my TOS and applications to go onto my 256Gb M.2 drive
2) HDs (four) to be added and configured for RAID after the initial TOS installation
3) can the M.2 serve as both the TOS drive and as a cache, or is that either/or?

Finally, as I hate to appear as hijacking an existing thread: why can I only reply to existing threads and not start a new one?

Many thanks.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

Philoctotes wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 23:36
Regarding the first and second points you mentioned, it is possible.
Regarding the third point, if you use SSD for system and storage, you cannot use it for caching.

The FAQ & User Guides module is dedicated to the official website staff. Occasionally we migrate excellent guide articles from forum users here as well. You can post your topic posts in other related modules.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)

Return to “Initialization & installation”