What now? Grub rescue

The discussion here is limited to topics related to the system update itself. Please post the functional issues after the system update to the corresponding other forums.
Lanthos
Great Britain

What now? Grub rescue

Post by Lanthos »

Hi,

Have been googling and can't find my exact issue mentioned anywhere. I fear for the worst.

F5-422, decided to update to TOS 5 and then forced into an automatic update to latest version pushed to device. Following this, the device now outputs:

Error: invalid arch-independent ELF magic.
Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue>

Does this mean it's time to reinstall the USB initboot? Is there any other way around this or other fix? Will I ever buy TNAS again? :|

Thanks!
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: What now? Grub rescue

Post by TMroy »

What is your TOS version before updating?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Lanthos
Great Britain

Post by Lanthos »

It was from 4.2.40 to 5.0.176. It worked fine but then there was an auto update from the TOS 5 and then it all failed and now it's output from Hdmi is grub recovery.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

viewtopic.php?t=4912
Sorry for the issue you encountered. Due to your storage structure originating from TOS4, it cannot use newer versions of TOS5.
For more explanations and solutions, please refer to:
viewforum.php?f=28
Whether you want to install a lower version of TOS5 or install back to TOS4, please note that if the installation process prompts "delete/format", please do not continue
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Lanthos
Great Britain

Post by Lanthos »

Right, I'd plan to go back to 4, but right now I can't even boot and it doesn't give me the option to get to initalisation with the grub recovery error. What do I need to do next?
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

Can't boot even without installing any hard drives?
There may be missing or damaged files in the USB boot drive or damage to the USB itself. This may solve the problem of startup failure.
viewtopic.php?t=1455
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)

Return to “System Update”