Network Speed

IPv4/6, Port, VPN, proxy, SSH, remote access and more.
pobotrol

Network Speed

Post by pobotrol »

I've got an F4-221 connected to my TP-Link Router, using the Cat5e cable that came with the NAS.
TOS Control Panel says the network connection is 1000Mb/s, but router lists the negotiation speed as only 100Mb/s. The other LAN connections to the TV and PC have a negotiation speed of 1000Mb/s.
I don't understand why the connection to the NAS is going slower, can anyone help?
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: Network Speed

Post by TMSupport »

The TNAS transferring speed you will get is about 125Mb/s if you are using 1000Mb/s Router.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
pobotrol

Post by pobotrol »

I'm getting considerably less than that, and getting buffering issues when streaming 4K video to the TV. So I figured it is a bandwidth issue, and the router suggests that it's connecting to the NAS slower than the other LAN connections.
DiscoSi

Post by DiscoSi »

Have you tried swapping the cable from one of your other devices to rule out a bad cable?
F5-221 TOS 4.2.09 4x4TB Seagate Ironwolf, 1x240GB Ironwolf SSD (Cache)
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Did you Confused the '1000Mb/s' and '1000MB/s' ?
1 Byte = 8 bit.
The network port of f4-221 is 1000Mb/s,that means The TNAS transferring speed will be not higher than 128MB/s theoretically。
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
jux74

Post by jux74 »

Hi,

I have a F4-210 since 5 months.

I have optical fiber and I download at 70MBytes/s (560Mbit / s) from the internet. On my local network my transfers to my NAS are correct, but when I want to download files remotely, I have difficulty reaching 100kbytes/s (800kbits/s) (from a 4G connection on my phone or a 20Mbits ADSL connection.

I do not see what is blocking? please help me, thanks
sianderson
Great Britain

Post by sianderson »

what is your upload speed? im going to go out on a limb here and suggest you are in the UK and on a Virgin Media connection in which case you may well have 560mb down, but perhaps are limited to 35mb upload (FTTC connection not FTTP) so the term fiber is very very missleading here as its not full duplex

having said that and also there are a lot more things that can slow down a connection even further especially as you talk about very variable connection types such as 4G and ADSL (not even VDSL but really old school ADSL that providers could only provide a throughput of 4mb on the upto 20mb adsl connection we had at our office)
F2-210

jux74

Post by jux74 »

My connection at home : on my computer i can upload to 20MBytes/s (160Mbits/s) to a server : dl.free.fr for exemple. My provider is K-net in France.
And with my 4G connection i can download to 20MBytes/s too.
I try on many PC's with different ADSL connection (at my father's place for exemple).
It's only when I want to download to my NAS remotely that the speed is very low.
sianderson
Great Britain

Post by sianderson »

also just to pick up on this, i have just tried via FTP with my Iphone XS on 4G acting as a hotspot to my laptop

Phone gets 21mbps down and 6mbps upload on 4G

so on a 200mbps down / 20mbps up internet connection where the F2-210 is plugged into i was achieving a download speed of 14mbps (1.7MB/s) from my F2-210 so while it wasnt maxing out the 20mb upload speed it was more than adequate

i do also seem have a strange situation transfering from Nas to computer (various ones) it transfers at 45MB/s (360mbps) but going from the computer to the nas drive it goes at the full 110Mb/s (880mbps) but this could be down to my hard drive set up so not really seeing this as an issue as even 45Mb/s is more than adequate for my home use
F2-210

Charlie_Croker

Post by Charlie_Croker »

pobotrol wrote: 17 Aug 2020, 05:06 I've got an F4-221 connected to my TP-Link Router, using the Cat5e cable that came with the NAS.
TOS Control Panel says the network connection is 1000Mb/s, but router lists the negotiation speed as only 100Mb/s. The other LAN connections to the TV and PC have a negotiation speed of 1000Mb/s.
I don't understand why the connection to the NAS is going slower, can anyone help?
Hi,
Have you checked to ensure that the router's ports are all Gigabit ones, I have certainly seen some routers with only one Gigabit switch and the others being 10/100. If they're all Gb ports, then change the cable, try a branded one. If that doesn't work, swap the port with the one currently connecting to the TV, check to see if NAS 100Mb connection is the same, if it is.
Then check the settings on the Router to make sure there's not an issue (unlikely), also update the Router's firmware if you can.
Good luck
Ex Terramaster user. British citizen, Ex resident of KSA, USA and now in UAE.