High Memory Utilization (among other things...)

CPU, memory, fan, process, services status, system log, tempreture
jason
United States of America

High Memory Utilization (among other things...)

Post by jason »

I have quite a few questions about my new F4-423 I would love some answers on. Finished setting it up over the last week, have a IronWolf Pro TRAID setup with a nvme for hyper cache. Everything was looking good, so I transferred roughly 100GB of files over and it went great!

But now my memory utilization is stuck at 68%, unsure why...
Screenshot 2024-03-19 165908.png
. I've checked processes and there's hardly anything running - definitely less than 10%. CPU at 0.5%

My drives are also seemingly stuck reading and writing at around 2MB/s - why is that?

It frequently becomes sluggish and it doesn't display icons or information in the control panel or file manager.
Screenshot 2024-03-19 172154.png
So I rebooted, and it took its 5 minutes, but it never powered off. I lost access to the system and it froze for an hour, until i force powered down.

Oh and folders I've created display "Read Only" in the file manager even though the user has read/write permissions (and can still upload).

Any ideas about what's causing all of this? Could the drives still be configuring in the background? Is this performance normal? Troubleshooting this is more challenging than I thought... Appreciate the help!
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-03-19 170141.png
Screenshot 2024-03-19 170141.png (15.63 KiB) Viewed 196 times
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Re: High Memory Utilization (among other things...)

Post by TMzethar »

Regarding the occupation of RAM, it is related to SSD Cache. SSD Cache naturally requires a certain amount of RAM. If you think that the occupation of RAM is too large, you can consider resetting SSD Cache and reducing the capacity used for SSD Cache.
This speed... Are you accessing TOS web pages through remote links? Or is RAID synchronizing?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
jason
United States of America

Post by jason »

Thank you for this response. Very helpful to know about the cause of that RAM usage! I found a post that recommended no more than 320GB cache for 4GB RAM, and I'm just under that. Will probably end up expanding down the road.

The disks had finished synchronizing a few days prior and I ran a quick SMART test, everything showing fine. BUT given the sluggy OS, RAM, etc, I rebooted it again after making this post. I waited the 5 minutes, but the NAS never shut down or rebooted. Disks began making even more concerning noises, never came back up, and I was forced to unplug again. When it came back up, the disks were rebuilding TRAID.

I don't know what to make of this. Corrupt file system? Bad drives despite tests showing the all-clear? Should I run the long test? Unplugging obviously wasn't great, but given the drives had to rebuild RAID means something major happened, right? Thanks for the help, I'm new to NAS.
jason
United States of America

Post by jason »

One quick follow-up, I located this thread about a "Read Only" issue that appears very similar to my situation. Permissions are set correctly but showing read only in the file manager and in Windows for some reason. I'm still able to write via SMB or browser.

viewtopic.php?t=4563

Current TOS version 5.1.123

Thanks!

Return to “System Resources”