F4-220 seem dead

Topics about hardware platform, power, memory, UPS, network adapter
Cis
France

F4-220 seem dead

Post by Cis »

As per this topic here : viewtopic.php?t=4693

My NAS seems dead, it was working fine and suddenly not able to boot, with steady 4 LEDs red and no beep at boot time.
Tried court-circuiting the battery for more than 10sec and still no beep at boot time :(.

I wish I could keep my data.. could you confirm if I get another Nas from tnas, plugging my disks could lead to seamless boot with my data and TOS ? Or should I care for a specific version ?

Would F4-423 or F4-424 work ?

Otherwise, do I have a chance to get my data back by pluggin my disks into another nas of a friend like Synology one ?
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Re: F4-220 seem dead

Post by TMzethar »

F4-423 or F4-424 can inherit the hard drive from F4-220.
But due to differences in startup methods, you need to reinstall TOS.
You can manually install TOS4:
https://download2.terra-master.com/TOS_ ... 220940.ins

During the installation process, if there is a prompt of "delete/format", it indicates that your hard disk partition is incomplete and there is a risk of data loss. At this time, please contact the customer service or technical support email on the official website homepage to make an appointment for remote assistance.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Cis
France

Post by Cis »

Thanks for your reply.

Can you explain why I should go back to TOS 4?
I had a few months back done a fresh install for TOS 5 on my setup, could you confirm which TOS I should install then?
TMcola
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMcola »

Cis wrote: 18 Mar 2024, 21:17
Because the upgrade to TOS 5 starts in a different way, you must go back to TOS 4 and restore the original data structure before you can upgrade or install TOS 5 again.
Cis
France

Post by Cis »

Ok,

Can I do that without pluging in my actual disks at all?

Could you detail further the procedure please ? (from new Nas unboxing and how to reach final setup with TOS 4 and my raid1 disks working with no data loss)
Cis
France

Post by Cis »

e.g. I have an old disk, do you think I could use it to come back to TOS4 without touching at all my current raid1 disks ? and only plug them once new NAS is running on TOS4 setup? so I make sure I do not take any risk with my data ?
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

Cis wrote: 18 Mar 2024, 22:35
If you have already installed TOS5 on the hard drive through complex methods on F4-220 and have formatted the hard drive with a new partition format (system partition 8GB), you can choose to install TOS5 online.
If your hard drive is still in the old partition format unique to TOS4 (2GB system partition), it is recommended that you install TOS4.
If you don't remember, generally speaking, you shouldn't have reformatted it to a new partition format
No matter which version you ultimately install, if it prompts "delete/format", please do not continue.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Cis
France

Post by Cis »

Yes I have gone through complex fresh install and got 8 gb system partition on my f4-220 setup.

Hence I was surprised, thanks or clarifying it.

I am not 100% clear what do you mean by "partition 8GB), you can choose to install TOS5 online".

Can you confirm I just have to plug back my disks in new f4-424 N95 and it should work normally? Of course if I am prompt to to format I will not continue :)
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

You can learn more about "8GB" and "TOS5" here:
viewtopic.php?t=4912
If you don't remember, it's highly likely that the hard drive is still a 2GB system partition. You need to confirm the specific situation yourself.
Connecting disk to a PC SATA and confirming through Disk Management is also feasible (please pay attention to the second partition of the hard drive).
Cis
France

Post by Cis »

So I can confirm seamless experience. (except my old Nas suddenly died, RIP)
Since I had done the TOS 5 clean install with new system partition a few months back, I could just plug my disks back and boot to a functioning system, just had to relaunch my containers so they actually work, probably die to IP change.

:D

Return to “Hardware, Power and Accessories”