TRAID Volume gone after reinitializing device

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
aspen15
Cuba

TRAID Volume gone after reinitializing device

Post by aspen15 »

My TNAS (F4-423) stopped being able to load the web GUI a couple days ago, then yesterday SSH went away. Emby was still working fine, so I left it alone. Today, though, while I was using Emby, it stopped working too. I pulled the hard drives and reinitialized the system.

During the setup process, I selected the Custom setup option, and it showed both of my NVMe drives as Good during the bad block scan. Then I installed my hard drives that had TOS installed before. Now, all the drives showed good except one of the NVMe drives that stuck on "Checking..." even though the data coming from the TNAS seen via the browser's developer mode showed all drives were good. I went back and chose "Default."

Now, my OS is installed on the NVMe drives in TRAID and my old TRAID array drives (2x Seagate Exos X20 20TB) are in TRAID but there is no volume on them and I cannot create a new volume.

Is my data gone? If not, how can I fix this? I am running the TOS 6 public beta, though I was on the private beta version when the issue started.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: TRAID Volume gone after reinitializing device

Post by TMroy »

First of all, the drive check at the initialize stage only checks for the system partition, not the whole drive. If your drive is stuck on "checking...", this means your drive has an issue, and you need to replace the faulty drive.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
aspen15
Cuba

Post by aspen15 »

The drive that was stuck on "checking" was one of my HyperCache drives that the new installation seems to have used to install the OS. The drives that held my data are hard disks that held the OS before.

Also, those SSDs showed "Good" when they were the only drives installed, and the raw packets coming in showed all drives as having "Good" status.
TMcola
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMcola »

aspen15 wrote: 18 Mar 2024, 21:09
If the format check of your drive fails, it can also lead to this issue. It is recommended that you replace it with another one and try again.
aspen15
Cuba

Post by aspen15 »

@TMcola Are you saying that I should try replacing one of the M.2 drives and reinitializing the OS to recover the data from my HDDs?
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

aspen15 wrote: 18 Mar 2024, 23:49
Sorry, regarding the issue you have encountered, based on other similar cases we believe it is necessary to reconfirm the issue.
You can try restarting and retesting again.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
aspen15
Cuba

Post by aspen15 »

TMzethar wrote: 19 Mar 2024, 12:16
So I did what you suggested and the same thing has happened. I notice now that it shows my HDD TRAID as having all the space allocated, but there is no volume that I can see. The only storage volume showing up is the SSD TRAID.
aspen15
Cuba

Post by aspen15 »

TMroy wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 13:05
Hi, I think my volume was encrypted before the system crashed, but I don't see any notes anywhere about TOS 6 supporting full disk encryption. Would the key file still be somewhere on my NAS that I can access it? I think that is why the volume won't mount

Return to “Storage”