VBox USB access for HomeAssistant

Install virtual machines on your TNAS;
Gianlk
Italy

VBox USB access for HomeAssistant

Post by Gianlk »

Hi,
I'm using VirtualBox on TNAS (I've a F5-221) since it was a beta app and it worked without problem, it was updated til 6.4, but then it was reverted back to 6.1.1 for kernel compatibility after TOS update.

I'm using it with home assistant and now I was looking on how to enable USB device in order to connect USB dongle like SkyConnect for Zigbee and Matter capability.

Even if there is the option to enable USB in the virtual machine, when trying to add a device, nothing is available.

The USB Dongle is correctly plugged in the NAS and also recognized, but it is not passed to Virtual Box.
The extension pack is correctly installed and enabled.

In all the forums, the solution provided to have the USB passthrough available in Virtual Box was to set correctly the user rights, and so to add your user in the vboxusers, this would have magically fixed the issue!
In TOS there is no vboxusers group, only vbox, anyway I've created the vboxusers group and added in it vbox and admin (same thing for vbox group).
I've restarted several times the NAS, unplugged and plugged back the dongle, but nothing: in VBOX still no device available.

I've also tried to manually insert the filters providing the Vendor ID and Product ID retrieved from slush, but still nothing.

It seems I'm almost there to have it working, but I don't know what else I can do.

Anyone from Terramaster can help me out understand which is the correct group, user or authorization to provide to have the USB working in Virtualbox?
Attachments
USB_List.png
USB_List.png (18.35 KiB) Viewed 1086 times
USB_filter.png
USB_Extpack.png
USB_Extpack.png (20.17 KiB) Viewed 1086 times
USB_Conf.png
Gianlk
Italy

Re: VBox USB access for HomeAssistant

Post by Gianlk »

Just to add, from Terramaster site there is the following article about Virtual Box availability
https://www.terra-master.com/global/pre ... ew/id/509/

which states the support of USB devices in Virtual box!
Attachments
terramaster.png
itisme

Post by itisme »

Sadly this is the only thing that TOS does wrong for me.
I briefly installed Ubuntu and Virtual box on mine and could add USB devices to a VM so it is not a hardware problem.
laurawoods

Post by laurawoods »

You can verify group membership by running `id` in the Terminal of your NAS. If you're not in the "vbox" group, add yourself using `sudo usermod -aG vbox <your_username>`.
Gianlk
Italy

Post by Gianlk »

laurawoods wrote: 25 Jan 2024, 15:32 You can verify group membership by running `id` in the Terminal of your NAS. If you're not in the "vbox" group, add yourself using `sudo usermod -aG vbox <your_username>`.
Thanks, I'm already part of the box group, but unfortunately no usb available even restarting the whole system
bekean

Post by bekean »

laurawoods wrote: 25 Jan 2024, 15:32 You can verify group membership by running `id` in the Terminal of your NAS. If you're not in the "vbox" group, add yourself using `sudo usermod -aG vbox <your_username>`.
Useful advice but unfortunately I'm not a member of the box.
plutosen

Post by plutosen »

Laura, thank you for saving my life..literally! ;) I was using "id" instead of `id`.
Gianlk
Italy

Post by Gianlk »

If anyone from Terramaster support can provide us a feedback on this it will be much appreciated!
It seems many users are experiencing the same problem but no answer has been provided.

The situation is that USB passthrough is enabled in VBOX (as the extension pack is installed), but no device is available in any Virtual machine in VBOX.
About users and group, all the users (root, admin, vbox) are already added to box group.
As suggested in other post, I've created a vboxusers group and added all the users.
The usb device is correctly installed and listed in lsusb.

What we can do to have the usb devices available in VBOX?
If anyone from the support want me to provide log, screenshot, made test or anything else, I'm totally available.

Waiting for a reply
Thanks
aschang

Post by aschang »

Hello exactly the same issue on my side. Could you propose a way forward? I wanted to replace a raspberry to reduce hardware but sounds to miss something in your solution.
sarahlison
Ecuador

Post by sarahlison »

Oh, pretty cool. I will try doing it this way.
always ready bob the robber

Return to “Virtual Machines”