Docker Manager and any Docker command on console freezes

Discussion about Docker
sts41

Docker Manager and any Docker command on console freezes

Post by sts41 »

I was playing around with Portainer and lost all control over my containers.
If I go into Docker manager, it just sits there forever without showing the containers, and if I run "docker info" from the console, same thing, never get a response.
I tried to update Docker Manager to the new 2.0 and that did not help.
I tried uninstall and remove the docker.sock file along with a few directories that was recommended, then re-install and still nothing.
Funny part is, no matter what, on a reboot all my containers start up.

Is there a proceedure to COMPLETELY wipe all existance of Docker from my Nas, short of re installing the NAS completely. Then I can re install and get it working again.

Thanks in advance.
Steve
sts41

Re: Docker Manager and any Docker command on console freezes

Post by sts41 »

Also, if I run:
/Volume1/@apps/docker/sbin/DockerApi
at the very end I see this error:
GIN-debug] [ERROR] listen unix /var/api/docker.sock: bind: address already in use
2024-03-07 10:04:17.545 [ERRO] listen unix /var/api/docker.sock: bind: address already in use

Thanks Steve
TMwuu
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMwuu »

{L_BUTTON_AT}sts41

Check whether docker engine is installed in the application center. Start docker engine and restart TNAS.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
sts41

Post by sts41 »

I believe it is running... Is this the process?

/Volume1/@apps/DockerEngine/dockerd/bin/dockerd --config-file=/Volume1/@apps/DockerEngine/conf/daemon.json

There are 5 processes started from DockerEngine. 4 of them are my containers and the one above.

Thanks Steve
Mordac85

Post by Mordac85 »

I get some wonky behavior when I tie more than portainer to /var/run/docker.sock w/read/write permissions. But I'm also having general docker issues so that may not be related.
F5-221
TOS 5.1.67
4 x 4TB RAID5 EXT4
1 x 8TB EXT4
sts41

Post by sts41 »

So I Fixed my problem (Not really fixed but went back to square one).. After a lot of looking around, there were inconsistancies with my 2.0.x install and it was looking for directories that I probably deleted in the uninstall.... So I do blame myself for my pain.

First, you need to be proficient in Linux and understand that what I am doing is trying to get rid of ALL links to docker and start over with the new 2.0.x version. If you do not know what these commands do..... DON'T Try this.

A long time ago I saved all the terminal commands to install and update my containers.... This makes it very easy to restore my config no matter what. If you do not have that, and you follow what I did.... You will need to restore your containers manually from the Docker Manager.

All the warnings out of the way... here goes:
Uninstall both Docker Manager and Docker Engine using the UI and app center (in my case, docker engine did not uninstall until I killed all the container processes. You will need to know how to do this on your own)
cd /var/run
rm -f docker.*
rm -Rf docker
umount docker/netns/default
rm -Rf docker
rm /var/log/DockerEngine.log
cd /Volume1
rm -Rf @DockerData
check that uninstall got rid of /Volume1/@apps/docker and /Volume1/@apps/DockerEngine If not, remove them also. I am not sure if there ever was a /Volume1/@docker.... But if so, remove that also.
deluser docker
cd /etc
rm -Rf docker

Now reboot your NAS and reinstall Docker Manager with the TOS UI.
Reboot once more and then install your containers either from command line or from Docker manager.

All looks good now... all my docker commands are working again, and I can monitor my containers with Docker Manager.

:P :P :P :P :P :P
Thanks Steve

Return to “Docker”