Carbon Copy Cloner backups to T9-450 incredibly slow

IPv4/6, Port, VPN, proxy, SSH, remote access and more.
T9450Guy

Carbon Copy Cloner backups to T9-450 incredibly slow

Post by T9450Guy »

Hi there,

I bought a T9-450 for use as a remote backup for a Thunderbolt DAS attached to my Mac.
To do the initial backup which is very large (in the order of 45TB) I connected to the T9-450 via an OWC Thunderbolt to 10GBe adapter directly.

I can see the NAS fine and set up a separate user for the Backups with a visible public folder. I then configured CCC to backup to that folder.
That was very slow (about 7MB/s), so I read in the CCC documentation that backing up to a Sparse Image Bundle could improve the speed, but unfortunately it seemed to be even slower.

I have tried connecting via AFP rather than SMB which does seem a bit quicker, and I should say that just copying files is much quicker, in the order of 500MB/s.

I'm beginning to think that the T9-450 (or indeed any NAS) isn't really suitable for backups, especially when your files are a mixture of small and large as mine are. Do you have any tips to improve backup speed?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: Carbon Copy Cloner backups to T9-450 incredibly slow

Post by TMroy »

Due to the relatively low random read-write efficiency of mechanical hard drives, if your folder contains a large number of small files, it may significantly reduce read-write speeds and become a bottleneck for performance. Meanwhile, if your 10G network adapter is connected via a fiber interface, please ensure that the transceiver you have purchased is officially certified. Using unofficial or compatible transceivers may hurt read-write performance.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)

Return to “Network & Remote Access”