Install TOS only on nvme

Initialization of newly purchased TNAS or re-installation of your TNAS
seb

Install TOS only on nvme

Post by seb »

Hello,

I initialized my F2-423 with 2 nvme. I have setup the HDD raid after.
I was thinking that TOS was only on nvme raid but after asking me why the disks never hibernate, I realized that there are 4 partition on each HDD and that TOS is also installed on it.
Is it possible to not use HDD for TOS? Can I remove partitions manually in CLI or it will break TOS?

Thanks in advance for your help.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: Install TOS only on nvme

Post by TMroy »

You can clean the contents in system partitions, but do not remove the partitions.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
seb

Post by seb »

What do you means by clean the content?
There is no way to choose on which disks we want the system to be installed?
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

If you use NVMe SSD as SSD cache, SSD cache cannot install TOS system simultaneously. In this case, your idea may not be feasible
You can connect the HHD to the PC via SATA and clear the information on the second partition of the HDDs through the hard drive tool(dont remove the partitions.)
Or you can go to Control Panel > System > Factory Default, run Restore to factory default to clear the system on each one disks. And them reinstall TOS(only choose your M.2).
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
davmojo

Post by davmojo »

I did this as Volume1 and HDD array as Volume2. So unstable, apps would disappear after reboot and file shares were not stable.

I have since reverted to HDD array TRAID is Volume1 & Nvme is Volume2. ITs' more stable but not perfect.
philh77
Great Britain

Post by philh77 »

Hi
Can I jump in on this with a couple of questions?

I have an F2-223 8GB RAM with 2 NVME drives 1TB Crucial CT1000P3\SSD8 configured as Hypercache (in RAID 0). I don't think I am really getting any benefit from Hypercache, so looking through various posts, I may benefit from installing TOS on 1 of the NVME drives. My HDD configuration is in Single Disk mode with 20TB and 12TB Seagate disks.

So, can I simply power off the system, remove 1 of the NVME drives, restart the system with no HDD's installed which I believe should force a reinstall of TOS which will install on the single NVME drive. On completion, then reinsert the HDD's, and will the system recognise the data already saved on the HDD's without loss, or would the lack of Hypercache cause issues? Also I guess will still have TOS on 1 of the HDD's, so will this cause an issue? Can I remove TOS from the HDD?

Many thanks in advance for any advice and assistance.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}philh77

As a TOS system disk, it is not bound to storage.
You can go to the control panel, simply cancel Hyper Cache, and createstorage pool and volume on it.
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)

Return to “Initialization”