Instructions for Adding HDDs to RAID

Hard Drive, volume, storage pool, RAID
TMeric
TerraMaster Team

Re: Instructions for Adding HDDs to RAID

Post by TMeric »

vlad wrote: 24 Dec 2023, 03:31 This is not working for me. I have a RAID 6 with 4 disks, and I want to add the 5th disk to the RAID. But the is no edit option for the RAID 6 storage pool, I can only delete the RAID 6 pool.

This is the final step of upgrading from a RAID 1 with 2 disks to a RAID 6 with 5 disks.

And after waiting for 3 days to upgrade my RAID 1 to RAID 5 with 3 disks, then another 3 days to upgrade the RAID 5 to a RAID 6 with 4 disks, not being able to add the 5th disk to that RAID 6 is quite frustrating.

The TNAS version is 4.2.40, the hardware is F5-422.

I tried rebooting, it didn't help. There is still no option to edit the storage pool. All disks have the same model and size, and the additional disk is showing in the system:

Thank you for your feedback. We saw that you have solved this problem in another post:
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=2441
We no longer have this problem on TOS 5.1
SeanL

Post by SeanL »

Hi, first post here.
I have an F2-223 and I think I planned/executed poorly when setting up my system.
I configured with only a 2 TB SSD installed and then thought I could expand from there. The SSD is almost full of files.
I have since installed 2 x 12 TB Seagate Ironwolf drives and tried to create a TRAID array with the SSD and one of them. It's been a couple weeks and I'm not sure this array ever finished synchronization/creation.

When I try to create a single disk storage pool on the untouched disk, hoping to migrate files over and redo the other array, it doesn't seem to work.

Any help appreciated. Let me know if I need to provide more information. Thanks!
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

Did you go through the <EDIT> <Expand Raid*> process? *not sure of exact wording atm)

If you have 2TB Traid and add 1x12TB hdd, you will still only have 2TB usable space. That has to sync. Then you would need to remove the 2TB SSD leaving you with 12TB hdd in 'degraded' mode.
Then add 2nd 12TB hdd and REPAIR raid -> 2TB Traid on 2x12TB drives. THEN <EXPAND> array and grow Storage pool.

[NB: from memory so check before you proceed. :D ]
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)

Return to “Storage”