Upgrade strategy to TOS5.1 with F2-221

The discussion here is limited to topics related to the system update itself. Please post the functional issues after the system update to the corresponding other forums.
mukmuk

Upgrade strategy to TOS5.1 with F2-221

Post by mukmuk »

Hey folks,

I've postponed the upgrade process for quite a while, but want to dig in it now. I'm sitting here on TOS 5.0.x with a BTRFS Raid 1 on 2x 3TB drives, no cache or additional things. The raw data is backed up on an external usb drive.

What's the easiest solution without having to reinstall everything from the external usb drive? I thought about:
- format one of the two disks
- disconnect the other one
- fresh install TOS5.1 with its 8gb partition on disk 1
- reconnect the second disk
- mount it via shell and copy things over
- start rebuilding the "degraded" RAID1 from the first to the second disk (thus erasing the old disk/data)

Is this strategy usable? Anything to keep in mind? I really would want to dismiss the option of having to use the external usb backup for this case.
Gremlin
Great Britain

Re: Upgrade strategy to TOS5.1 with F2-221

Post by Gremlin »

Not really a usable strategy. You have missed that BOTH hdd have the operating system in Raid1. If you replace the OS on one drive, then the second, when inserted, will cause a raid fault for the OS (different OS partition sizes and versions). Usual result is a failure to load correctly.
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
tucca66

Re: Upgrade strategy to TOS5.1 with F2-221

Post by tucca66 »

Messing with RAID configurations and formatting drives is always risky, and even a single misstep could wipe out your data permanently. While you have a backup, restoring everything can be tedious and time-consuming.

Return to “System Update”