New NAS file copying fails via SMB/FTP

SMB, NFS, AFP, FTP, web file manager and Rsync server.
RoyRogers

New NAS file copying fails via SMB/FTP

Post by RoyRogers »

I've just got my new T9-423 set up with 6x 16TB seagate drives in a single TRAID and am trying to copying across the 50,000+ files from my old NAS across the network and it keeps failing.
The NAS is connected directly via single link to a Cisco switch, as is the PC I'm using to control everything. No firewall or access lists in the middle, everything on the same network/subnet.

I can mount the shared folder no problems on the Win11 pc and start the file transfer but after 5-10 minutes, it fails and stops copying. I enabled FTP to see if that would work better and it works a bit better but it also keeps failing after 5-10 minutes. It does recover though to some extent.

I need to be able to copy across the files as I want to get rid of the old NAS. File sizes vary from a few MB to several GB but it still fails regardless of the size. Does anyone know what is going on here?

It's like the network drops out for 30 seconds or so which causes a SMB copy to fail completely and the FTP to fail for a while then recover.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Re: New NAS file copying fails via SMB/FTP

Post by TMzethar »

Hi,
Have you seen any error messages?
If the RAID of your hard drive is being synchronized, it is recommended that you wait for the synchronization to complete before testing. RAID synchronization of multiple hard drives requires a significant amount of system resources
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
RoyRogers

Re: New NAS file copying fails via SMB/FTP

Post by RoyRogers »

OK it seems like it has something to do with a static vs dynamic IP address (not sure how though).
It was failing with the static IP but after switching it to dynamic and rebooting the NAS, I was able to copy over 1200+ files overnight with only 10 failures. (via FTP)

I might have done some config changes on the NAS that required a reboot but didn't do it. Coming from a Synology, it seems like I have to re-learn the set up a lot as TOS doesn't prompt much.

Return to “File Services”