Manual for Docker app

Discussion about Docker
Romario

Manual for Docker app

Post by Romario »

Hi. I'm trying to run Ubuntu in container and I don't understand how to do it. I couldn't find which ports to choose, which folders to (better) use. What do the addresses in the Networks tab mean? In general, it is not clear enough, but I would like to learn how to use Docker. :)
Can someone describe at least this example? TOS 5.1.103-00409 Docker 1.2.9
Thanks in advance.
Mordac85

Re: Manual for Docker app

Post by Mordac85 »

I'm not familiar w/Ubuntu in a container but I can give you some general lessons learned on TOS.
  1. The UID/GID most examples default to of 1000 need to be changed for the user/group that has access to the items you're referencing on the container, sometimes also needed even though the example doesn't call for it (e.g. the volumes, any system items like the docker.sock, etc.).
    I use PUID=0 for admin tasks querying system items, like NetData, and PUID=2 for just about everything else & PGID=4 for allusers group)
  2. Consider the mapping between the volumes and adjust as needed (e.g. /Volume1/Media might conflict with /media in the container, etc.)
  3. Sort out your port assignments to make sure there are no conflicts before you launch a new container.
  4. Use portainer or docker-compose to adjust/set parameters that aren't available in the Docker Manager app (e.g. restart policy, cap-add, shm_size, etc.)
  5. Set an environment variable called TZ to your PHP time zone (for me America/New_York). It might not be needed for all containers, but simplifies things when digging through the logs.
I'm sure there are a tons of others, but TerraMaster is very light on documenting any of their apps, especially these little gotchas, but those should get you over the initial hurdles and let you get your container up and running.
F5-221
TOS 5.1.67
4 x 4TB RAID5 EXT4
1 x 8TB EXT4

Return to “Docker”