Configuration Recommendations for Hyper Cache

Hard Drive, volume, storage pool, RAID
Newbie98000

Re: Configuration Recommendations for Hyper Cache

Post by Newbie98000 »

To precise a bit more

Nas to use f2-223 with 4 Go Ram

RAID 1 with 2 To mechanic Harddisk to use regularly :
- Homeo Assistant for home automation running Under Docker (maybe 2 or 3 VMs Max)
- smb Server for bureautic and mp3 use
- 2 Gbe : one dedicated to domotic Matter + Thread VLAN, one dedicated to Internet
- Cloud Backup to Cloud Services Aws etc.

Cache m2 to accelerate RW Performance : here is my question, which is the minimum configuration in my use case, though I don't want to use m2 drives to store anything but Cache files

Hope this helps
manya2000

Post by manya2000 »

I have a F2-423 with:
32 GB RAM
2 X Western Digital 6TB WD Red Plus NAS Internal Hard Drive HDD - 5400 RPM, SATA 6 Gb/s, CMR, 256 MB Cache using TRAID

If I am correct, the F2-423 uses Pci Express 3.0 X1.
Can I install a Crucial P3 Ct1000p3ssd8 1 Tb Solid State Drive - M.2 2280 Internal - Pci Express Nvme (pci Express Nvme 3.0 X4) since I can find a 3.0X1 at a reasonable price.

Can I install just 1 SSD or do I have to install 2 SSD?

What is the advantage of installing 2 instead of 1 if I only backup photos and camera videos and only use Jellyfin and Terra Photo.

Thanks
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

Don't you know how much capacity Hyper Cache you should use?
You can try using one first. Add a second one when you think it's necessary.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
darkside501st

Re: Configuration Recommendations for SSD Cache

Post by darkside501st »

This is a confusing thread. I came here to look for answers on what type/size of m.2 drives I should get to best take advantage of the caching feature on the new F4-424 Pro NAS that I just got, which has 32Gb of ram. I didn't see any info on the product pages. I did find a compatibility list but that is not suggestions or recommendations for how to properly select the right m.2 for your NAS or for your needs. I contacted the TerraMaster Helpdesk but they didn't have any information and suggested a Google search.
lsoto wrote: 19 May 2023, 19:07 T6-423 bought yesterday. I had added 2 x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2Tb.

First: at installation time it offered me create the pool along the other four HD that I installed for previous nas. Does Tos 5 have tiered storage? Otherwise it is a bit strange and not useful mixing HDD with SSD, isn't it?

Second: The Samsung were at 60C degrees before using it (formatting yet). They are currently at 83C while the sync at Hyper Cache creation (raid-1). Could/Should be a heatsink added to them? How should be the specs size wise?

Third: With the factory 4Gb (onboard?) RAM, it only let me create a 288Gb (not 320Gb) HyperCache (raid-1, read/write). It let me put a bigger size but discard it.

And the worst of everything it is that I saw this post AFTER having bought the NAS and the NVMe SSD. I didn't saw anything about this on the product page.

It is going to be at first my secondary storage (and probably add a secondary D6-320 in the future), so I didn't plan to activate almost any application, but just use it as a file server. And thus I didn't intend to upgrade the RAM, but it looks like that I will need to go for even the 16Gb SODIMM one...
So, if I understand you correctly you got two 2Tb m.2 drives for caching (4Tb total) and the TOS system limited your cache to 288Gb total. You said that the T6-423 comes with 4Gb of ram. So that is 1:72 ratio. For every 1gb ram there is 72gb cache. I wonder if that is the same for all the various models.

Can anyone else chime in to confirm that the TOS system limits the cache and what your cache size is compared to your ram?

It looks like of all the m.2 drives on the compatibility list I see 1Tb and then 2Tb with nothing in between. According to the first post (ignoring the confusing paragraph and just looking at the chart), if I have 32Gb of ram then I should get a total cache of 3200Gb or 3.2Tb. So since there is no 1.6Tb drive should I go with two 1Tb drives and limit my cache to 2Tb (2000Gb) or should I go with two 2Tb and then will the system limit my cache to 3.2Tb (3200Gb) and not make use of the remaining 800Gb available?
Romario

Post by Romario »

SSD cache is not worth the suffering. If you don't work with a lot of small files, then you don't need it. I can send a link to the tests (but there is Russian). My experience (initial conclusions) about using the cache is negative. TOS stopped loading 2 times after the cache was assigned (wrote /var/run/TOSDaemon.pid: No such file or directory). Now everything seems to be working fine with the cache disabled.

Return to “Storage”