Fan Speed Control

Topics about hardware platform, power, memory, UPS, network adapter
Gremlin
Great Britain

Fan Speed Control

Post by Gremlin »

While using the TOS6 Beta I had a disconcerting incident where the HDD Overheat alarm went off (65C). When I investigated it appeared that the (single) fan had stopped (?question failed?). Upon further investigation it looked like there was an issue with the fan speed control. Now back to the future .....

Stripped down system and connected fan to 'cpu fan' socket. (I bought the box 2nd hand and I don't care!) As might be expected, the fan ran continuously without issue. (Not a long test but sufficient, imo). So I did a complete re-install of virgin TOS 5.1.95.

What I found was interesting and not what I expected.

Using the variable speed fan setting, the fan would do as expected and run at varying speed (including zero rpm).

However, using any of the fixed speed settings, the fan will run in bursts at the given speed, but would also stop (zero rpm) for periods of time. This is not what I expected. In the absence of a clear algorithm for the control, I suspect (because the control panel is hard to refresh) that there is a factor based on CPU temp of 36C. When temp drops to that level, the fan seems to stop.

If for any reason, the cpu temp remains low the fan may not react to increasing HDD temp as I experienced. (I believe that in previous versions, the HDD temp was highly weighted to be the controlling factor, but that this was changed.) In this particular unit (F2-221) I am running HGST 7200rpm drives and they run hotter than most. This can be detrimental.

It may also be a situation where there is insufficient voltage to re-start the specific fan installed (oem in this case) but that needs much deeper investigation than I can perform.

If I set a 'fixed' speed for the fan, I do expect the fan to run continuously and not stop for some arbitrary reason.
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: Fan Speed Control

Post by TMroy »

We have not verified the problem you described in the lab, and we need to continue to observe to find the conditions that can reproduce this issue.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

Here is one sample of odd speed behaviour captured under tos6.0.124; Not Speed setting Medium, actual speed 80rpm.
Attachments
TOS6-fans.png
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
TMLyy
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMLyy »

You can try logging in to SSH and entering the following command to check the fan.

Code: Select all

ec_stat -rss
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMLyy

Thank you. 'ec_stat -rss' faithfully reports the speed as shown in the GUI, so I don't think that's an issue. Can you tell me if the fan control system used in TOS follows the BIOS settings?
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Gremlin
TOS need to read the register information through BIOS.
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

Thank you

Return to “Hardware, Power and Accessories”