Need to set device to domain other than .local

IPv4/6, Port, VPN, proxy, SSH, remote access and more.
lecce

Need to set device to domain other than .local

Post by lecce »

My F2-223 running TOS5 seems to default to TNAS-XXXX.local

My network internally is setup with the domain .local.lan therefore this should be TNAS-XXXX.local.lan

I can't find anywhere in the GUI to change the DNS domain - can anyone advise how this is done?

I believe the "standard" way is to add an alias into /etc/hosts which I presume I would need to do via SSH.

Note I am *note* trying to join an AD domain.
Gremlin
Great Britain

Re: Need to set device to domain other than .local

Post by Gremlin »

Can you assign a lan IP using MAC address in your DHCP server? Doing this gives a constant ip (without setting fixed ip) and the dhcp server should assign the .local.lan suffix. Strictly I don't think the 'local.lan' is really neccessary. Most will default to '.local' on it's own.

*Note: when using dhcp assignment use an ip outside of the 'pool'. eg
set pool = 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.100
assign device ip = 192.168.1.101 through .254
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
lecce

Re: Need to set device to domain other than .local

Post by lecce »

I could use DHCP (though I've not tested to see if TOS actually honours the DHCP DNS domain), but I'd rather not. I tend to be a bit paranoid about over-reliance on DHCP, and assign static addresses to any application/applicance that constitutes critical infrastructure like firewalls, managed switches or NASs.

.local is specifically not recommended for use in various locations, not least https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.local - though I fully accept Terramaster are not responsible for poor standards compliance elsewhere!

Return to “Network & Remote Access”