New F4-423 User - Init Question(s)

This forum serves as a free discussion zone, intended to facilitate community conversations on topics unrelated to TerraMaster products and services.
pyrrhonist

New F4-423 User - Init Question(s)

Post by pyrrhonist »

Hello everyone!

New F4-423 owner/operator here!

Been reading through the forums and doing a lot of online research...took advantage of several Friday/Monday sales and here I am!

*Note: For some odd reason, this is the only forum I could create a new topic in...so not sure how I'd be able to move it to a more appropriate location?

In any event...since I bought parts from several different locations...I'm waiting for everything to arrive, however, the main unit arrived first!

I took an old 128GB SSD (OCZ-Vertex4 SATA 3.1, 6Gb/s) and installed/initialized TOS 5.1 (5.1.95-00372) to take the unit for a test spin! :)

So far...I'm pretty impressed with the overall setup, look & feel and responsiveness! (I come from a Synology DS220+ for comparison)

What I'm wondering though...while I wait for my remaining parts...if someone could point me in the right, or a recommended direction or link on a few question(s) I have?

Firstly, I read that you can install the OS, directly, on M2 drives? It seems though you can (should?) consider using the M2 drives for hyper caching in some other links? But the M2 transfer rates/performance/speed may be 'limited' somewhat? (older bus?)

My question...would it be useful or worthwhile to re-install everything on an older M2 (Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB M2) drive...and save the new Seagate IronWolf 2x8TB NAS drives (ST8000VN004) for files/storage only? I have access to a second Samsung 970 (500GB) as well...

One site seemed to indicate something similar to the following:
  • TOS --> Install on single M2 drive (Volume1)
  • Apps --> Install on second M2 drive (Volume2)
  • Storage --> Install on NAS drives (Volume3)
  • Hyper Cache --> Use high performance SSD
My general use is a media server (Plex)...and I tend to run everything (Plex + VPN + content aggregators) purely from Docker containers.

My use case leads me to my other question...many sites rate the TOS applications as lacking...since I run mainly from Docker containers, that isn't a big issue/concern for me...BUT...how is the Docker app from the TOS catalogue? Is it better to load Docker directly instead? Any pro/cons/articles that may help in that decision?

As always....appreciate any info/knowledge/sharing that anyone can provide...
PacopepeDJ

Re: New F4-423 User - Init Question(s)

Post by PacopepeDJ »

Hello! Did you find an answer for all your questions?

Im new here, and on Monday is coming my F4-423 and I have some of the same concerns that you posted before here.

I have 2 M2 nvme 250gb and I would like to know if is possible to install TOS 5 in one of them and use the other one for cache.

Is İt enough memory 250gb + 250gb for this purpose? The use of this NAS will be exclusively for Plex media server.

I would be very happy if you found out the answers for your questions and if you can throw some light on mines.

Thank you very much.

Return to “Lounges”