Adding another drive to my NAS for Plex

Initialization of newly purchased TNAS or re-installation of your TNAS
DaveD

Adding another drive to my NAS for Plex

Post by DaveD »

Hi All,

I used to own a single NAS which I bought for streaming audio using Plex, but then added video and ran out of storage!

I decided to replace it with a Terramaster F5-422 NAS to give me expansion space to add new drives.
I paid to have my new NAS set up and have installed Plex and am happily streaming the files off drive a.
I also have mapped it to my PC, so it appears as the Z: drive on my computer.
So far so good.

I've now saved a bit more money up and bought another Harddrive for Bay 2.
I've struggling to work out how to correctly install it so (a) Plex will see it and (b) I can map it to my PC

First stupid question:
Running TOS5.1, going into Control Panel and selecting Hard Drive, I can see both drives. Bay 1 has a 6TB drive in it, and Bay 2 has a 16TB drive in it.
Can I do this? I've just had the horrifying thought that maybe I need to have the same size drive in each bay?

Second Stupid Question:
What do I do next to add this second drive so I can use it for additional Plex storage? I looked at both volume and storage pools. I managed to create a new volume and new storage pool, but I couldn't actually see or map to it. I then tried again but it looked like with was going to also format the drive in the bay 1 too.

My end goal is to have five bays occupied and used as follows:
Bay 1: Plex Server installed and movies (for streaming on Plex)
Bay 2: TV files (for streaming on Plex)
Bay 3: Music and Audiobooks and Radio plays (for streaming on Plex)
Bay 4: Digital comics and EPUB and link drive to my Tablet
Bay 5: Shared for Family. Photos and documents. Will include Family Home Videos that I'll want to stream on Plex

I currently have three drives:
a 6TB drive installed in Bay 1 with all data on it working.
a 16TB drive blank sat in Bay 2.
an 8TB drive full of (TV) data. The plan was to transfer the data on this drive to the drive in Bay 2 once that was installed and formatted.

I'd be extremely grateful for any help or pointers

David
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Re: Adding another drive to my NAS for Plex

Post by TMzethar »

You can use disks of different sizes
After successfully creating a storage pool and volume using the new hard drive, please go to Control Panel - Shared Folder and create a new shared folder located on the new volume
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)

Return to “Initialization”