ZStandard as file compression option in BTRFS

Tell us your most wanted new features, or recommendation.
4lpha0ne

ZStandard as file compression option in BTRFS

Post by 4lpha0ne »

Hi, I love to have the file system compression option in TOS5 with BTRFS. It is also good to have a compression level option for ZLib (which is being used as I checked via SSH). Their use in BTRFS is documented here:
https://btrfs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Compression.html

There are lots of charts online, where one can see, that ZStandard will compress and decompress much faster than ZLib at the same compression rates, which might avoid bottlenecks when writing on HDDs or SSDs in a RAID with combined write throughput of >300 MB/s.

The easiest way of implementing this I can imagine would be to change the compression level options from 1, 2, 3... to combinations like ZLIB-1, ZLIB-2,.. ZStd-1, etc.

Or is there a way to modify the way how the volume is mounted and provide the compression method there?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: ZStandard as file compression option in BTRFS

Post by TMroy »

Thank you! we will add it to the wish list.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
4lpha0ne

Re: ZStandard as file compression option in BTRFS

Post by 4lpha0ne »

TMroy wrote: 27 Nov 2023, 14:45 Thank you! we will add it to the wish list.
Sounds good! Thank you very much!

I also looked for some more tests of all of the BTRFS compression method options, and it looks like LZO might also be useful for some scenarios.

Return to “New Features Wanted”