Plex Server Move to new server and problems

Discussion on Plex media server and clients
Bernhard.Wuest

Plex Server Move to new server and problems

Post by Bernhard.Wuest »

Hello all,

I tried to find a solution to move the plex server to a new F5-422.
The trouble is, I am not an expert at all in SSH and Putty and winscp and.....
I tried to find the place where the information is stored and sort of realized i need root access in WinSCP to see the directory.
Now the root login is blocked, not sure but probably I blocked it using a wrong password.

How can I access the information from my existing Plex Server avoiding to setup the server from scratch with all settings and metadata if that is possible in any case.
I mean I can copy the movies over and then setup the Movies, Series and so on again but thought there should be a way to export/import from my existing server.
Can I unblock the root access to be able to see the files and directories in WINSCP when I log in as root? Well is this the right approach or is there a better one.
My system: NAS 1 is on FW 4.2.40 with the latest Plex Version available. My plan is to install the new on version 5 and ones the data is all transferred to the new one also Update the old one. Ones both are running on version 5 I using the second one in a second location.
Thats the plan. Any suggestion help is really appreciated. Again, I am not a expert in Linux, SSH, FTP and so on.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Re: Plex Server Move to new server and problems

Post by TMzethar »

For login methods for SSH on different versions, please refer to:viewtopic.php?f=78&t=2350
The location of plex information for TOS4 is in FileManager/User/plex while the plex information of TOS5 is located in FileManager/Plex.
But we are not sure if plex information from TOS4 can be used on TOS5. This may have various issues such as permissions and configuration.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Bernhard.Wuest

Post by Bernhard.Wuest »

Thanks for the info.
As the second F5-422 is new and came with TOS 4.x, I am currently moving my Plex Data on the new system. With a description from the net I am moving the Plex_Database directory on the new system and check if the transfer is working on TOS 4. to TOS 4. I made sure the TOS version and Plex Version are the same.
If that is working I upgrade the new one to 5 and try to repeat the database move. According to your help this might not work. Well my database is about 1000+ Moview, 600 Operas, 500 Concerts and 2000+ Series Titles. I thought it is worth trying. It is not about to get the movies integrated, Plex does a good job, it is more about the status of the individual titles and so on.
About 8 TB of data is taking its time.
Will keep you posted.
Many thanks for the help so far.
Bernhard.Wuest

Post by Bernhard.Wuest »

Another update. After Installing 4 on the new F5-422 and the transfer of the Plex Server all went well just the status of startet movies got lost, I installed TOS 5 and went through setting it up. To make sure I have the Plex server data I backed up the directory
I installed Plex on TOS 5 and after starting, voila all my movies been set up correctly like i left it behind before upgrading to TOS 5.
I will continue to backup the first F5-422 which is still on 4 and update then to 5 as well.

One thing I can find a solution. I used Centralized backup on TOS 4. I copied the directories to 5 and installed Centralized backup.
Searching for a way to be able to use the old backup files?

Return to “Plex”