Advanced technical queries

Language, region, time zone, power, navigation, notification and more.
Reeceydoodle

Advanced technical queries

Post by Reeceydoodle »

Hello!

I hope you're all doing well. To get to my question, i do need to inform you about how these questions have come about.
Currently, I have a home lab consisting of routers, switches and servers. The main purpose is to learn and develop my technical skills. On my server I hae Active Directory installed and the TNAS is linked to Active Directory so AD DS Users can use the file shares with the appropriate user group permissions. Now to get into the details...

I'm using my my TNAS for Plex, data storage and data backups, recently I found a nieche problem which required a system reboot (SMB service potentially crashed, network shares weren't working). The issue is resolved and that's great, however there's a few questions I have.

So with all that in mind, I wanted to have a secure way to reboot the system to remote users without compromising all network shares, applications and allowing anyone to login as the admin account to change settings, this would of course be bad. However when I'm not available I'd like remote users to have the ability to reboot the system in a controlled fashion.

To accomplish this the easy way, I was thinking that there was potential to grant specific user groups the ability to reboot the TNAS, however I wasn't able to find a way to do this. This leads me to the first question.
[*] Is it possible to allow non-admins to reboot the server?

Another way of accomplishing this is to develop a webpage (secured of course) with a reboot button - the web server would action this by connecting to the TNAS via SSH and rebooting as the admin account, which brings me to my next question.
[*] Is it possible to reboot via SSH?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated and apologies if this is in the wrong category.
Hello!
I'm new to the forums, not new to TNAS, I recently figured the command line out and so will be exploring ways to troubleshoot / resolve some problems I've experienced in effort to help others in the same situation.

Hopefully I can help!
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Re: Advanced technical queries

Post by TMzethar »

The HTTPS remote access to the TOS webpage of TNAS.online can provide an on/off button.
It is also possible to remotely access through SSH and restart through the command 'reboot'. You need to configure your router to open the SSH port to the internet.
Considering your safety concerns, we may not have correctly understood your meaning and the answer did not satisfy you.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Reeceydoodle

Re: Advanced technical queries

Post by Reeceydoodle »

Hi TMzethar,

Thanks for your reply.
TMzethar wrote: 08 Nov 2023, 20:14 The HTTPS remote access to the TOS webpage of TNAS.online can provide an on/off button.
This is possible for admin accounts, but I was hoping for custom user groups to be allowed or denied the ability to reboot the TNAS.
TMzethar wrote: 08 Nov 2023, 20:14 It is also possible to remotely access through SSH and restart through the command 'reboot'. You need to configure your router to open the SSH port to the internet.
Considering your safety concerns, we may not have correctly understood your meaning and the answer did not satisfy you.
Thanks for this, I didn’t think it’d be this straight forward but apparently it is - I’ll give this a go as I may be able to use a workaround with SSH.
Hello!
I'm new to the forums, not new to TNAS, I recently figured the command line out and so will be exploring ways to troubleshoot / resolve some problems I've experienced in effort to help others in the same situation.

Hopefully I can help!

Return to “System Configuration”