SMB file support failing after TOS upgrade

SMB, NFS, AFP, FTP, web file manager and Rsync server.
Virtopian

SMB file support failing after TOS upgrade

Post by Virtopian »

I recently updated my TNAS OS to the most current version 4.2.40-2203011626. Ever since I did this upgrade, now my SMB support keeps failing after an intermittent number of hours. The TNAS network mapped drives will suddenly no longer be accessible. It is like SMB support is suddenly turned off. It happens intermittently and the drives become inaccessible from all computers via SMB. I can still lkog into the TNAS via web interface. Things like Plex designated media is still accessible and if I go into TOS and click on the file manager all of my files and folders are still there and if I check the permissions they are all still showing as active with SMB checked.

If I reboot the TNAS, the TOS restart seems to temporarily rectify the issue and SMB refreshes and I can once again access the files via my computer mapped network drives but only for a few hours up to roughly half a day. This is extremely problematic as I have a few different devices streaming media to my TNAS such as video from my security cameras. Please advise on what I can do to troubleshoot this issue. I have attempted to shut off SMB support entirely and rebooted the TNAS then went back in and turned it on. This did not resolve the issue. Several hours later the mapped drive letters were again inaccessible via SMB. I am using a Windows 11 laptop and a windows 10 Desktop (both are Alienware systems) to access the mapped TNAS drives via SMB.

So, currently, the only manual work around I have is a 1-2 times a day restart of the TNAS whenever I have identified that the mapped network drives are no longer accessible from any of the PCs I have mapped them to.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Re: SMB file support failing after TOS upgrade

Post by TMzethar »

Hello, our technical support email seems to have received the same question as yours.
We would like to know which version you are using before updating the TOS. It is recommended that you provide system reports for us to analyze.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Virtopian

Post by Virtopian »

Good day TNAS support Forum, and yes, I finally signed up for the forums yesterday. Previously I had used email support.

I wish I had read this thread 5 minutes sooner this morning because when I got up and came to my desk the first thing I checked on was the status of the SMB links and they were broken so I restarted my NAS then started reading through my emails. LOL. Anyway I will work on collecting the logs per your request the next time it happens, most likely later today.

As for the previous version I upgraded from, I am not entirely sure of the version but it was a minor update. I check for updates about once a quarter. So, if I had to guess I would say most likely it was either the minor 4.2.x release prior to the one I upgraded to or possibly one earlier. But it was a minor release.

One of the reasons I did perform the update was because of one of the fixes advertised that this newer version fixed. I had not been having SMB issues but I had applications vanishing from my TOS desktop with the biggest issue being when my PLEX icon vanished and my PLEX server would not launch. I attempted to install it but it kept issuing an error message when I tried and when I searched on the issue I saw that a potential fix was the updated TOS which I performed last week and since I did, suddenly and miraculously PLEX came back and started working again. But then the following day, the SMB issue began. I stream security camera footage to my NAS and every time the SMB fails so does my cameras archiving.

Once the issue happens again, I will get the backups and send them along to support.
Virtopian

Post by Virtopian »

Looking at the INS files I still have in my downloads archive folder, the last version I had downloaded was TOS_S2.0_Install_JM33_4.2.28_2201191742_2201191947 roughly a year ago.
Virtopian

Post by Virtopian »

I just had it happen again and I have collected the TOS logs and sent them off to the Terramaster support team for review and input.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

Your attachment has been received and is being checked.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Virtopian

Post by Virtopian »

I just responded back to TOS support but to update the thread, it appears that for some reason my iTunes server was part of the issue. Here was what the support team said in their log review:

------------
No obvious issues with the system or storage were found. We see that iTunes has been in high-occupancy work. In both the Samba and iTunes logs, we found the message "Insufficient disk capacity".

Please check whether the disk capacity is used up, or try to use itunes for a period of time with it disabled.
-------------

I uninstalled iTunes server and I have not had any further disruptions in SMB since (1 day and 13 hours later). I did just pull a fresh log and send it to the support team to give them a fresh perspective since removing iTunes but I would be curious why the logs would show insufficient disk capacity? I am only using 36% of my capacity (18tb used with 31tb free). Could this be a possible indication of other issues that I should be looking into and trying to resolve?
TMcola
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMcola »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Virtopian
Sorry, maybe we need more observation and verification to regard the issues that affect SMB usage and the "capacity" related prompts that occurred while you were using iTunes. We currently do not have any further information available to provide you.
Excuse me,if you discover more noteworthy situations in the future, you are welcome to propose it to us.
Thanks!
Virtopian

Post by Virtopian »

Thank you TOS support team. I appreciate your assist. We may not know the why but we did discover the what was causing it. So, I am back up and functional. I will advise if I have any further issues or insights as to root cause.

Have a great weekend.

Return to “File Services”