UPS Setup Help.

Topics about hardware platform, power, memory, UPS, network adapter
StephenM

Re: UPS Setup Help.

Post by StephenM »

Could someone explain to me exactly what "safe mode" actually means?

I am running 4.2.x on an F4-210.

Are all services stopped - Docker - Plex etc?

Are all the volumes unmounted?

What will be the power consumption?

What is the command executed to place the TNAS into safe mode.

I would rather a "poweroff" was used instead.
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Gremlin
TMzethar wrote: 20 Sep 2023, 17:26 Is this what you are looking for? https://help.terra-master.com/TOS5/view ... s/flag/UPS
Following up, even this linked page is a "nonsense":
You can also connect the USB UPS device to the USB port of the TNAS device, and then follow the steps below to enable UPS support. 1. Check "Enable UPS Support". 2. Using the "UPS System Type" drop-down menu, select "TNAS UPS Server".
Step 2 CANNOT BE PERFORMED in TOS5. The only option, once USB ups is connected is (logically) "USB UPS". The rest of the "Help" page then goes into, what must be" instructions on setting up the "Server" function. Unfortunately it then morfs into SNMP setup which, I believe, is something else again.
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

StephenM wrote: 20 Sep 2023, 21:53 Could someone explain to me exactly what "safe mode" actually means?
See this for a reasonable explanation: :twisted:

https://kb.synology.com/en-ph/DSMUC/hel ... s?version=
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
StephenM

Post by StephenM »

Gremlin wrote: 20 Sep 2023, 22:42
StephenM wrote: 20 Sep 2023, 21:53 Could someone explain to me exactly what "safe mode" actually means?
See this for a reasonable explanation: :twisted:

https://kb.synology.com/en-ph/DSMUC/hel ... s?version=
Observed behaviour:

Pull the plug for the UPS out - It bleeps about once every 30s
TNAS stops SSH access, portal access, docker ports seem to be unavailable.
Disk lights remain on and activity, while diminished, continues.
TNAS is pingable throughout with the LAN led flickering all the while.

10 minutes later - Restore power to the UPS.

The TNAS performs a full reboot - Shutdown to all lights off and then a startup.

So my question to anyone from Terramaster - What's the point of going into Secure Mode when you actually do a full reset once the power is restored - Hardly supporting the idea you get a rapid restore of functionality.

I could do with understanding which command is executed to put the TNAS into Safe/Secure mode - Could anyone from Terramaster report back on this and if it is possible to edit a config file to change the behaviour to be a shutdown or poweroff.
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

What time did you set for the TNAS to go to safe mode?
or Did you use the "Until Low Battery"" setting.?
Did you observe "Estimated Use Time Remaining"?

I'm wondering if your TNAS actually went into safe mode.
StephenM

Post by StephenM »

Gremlin wrote: 21 Sep 2023, 00:36 What time did you set for the TNAS to go to safe mode?
or Did you use the "Until Low Battery"" setting.?
Did you observe "Estimated Use Time Remaining"?

I'm wondering if your TNAS actually went into safe mode.
30 seconds - And I waited for at least 10 minutes

Did not set Until Low Battery

I couldn't observe anything on the TNAS - Web UI not available, nor SSH
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

StephenM wrote: 21 Sep 2023, 01:17 I couldn't observe anything on the TNAS - Web UI not available, nor SSH
Yeah, sorry. That should show up on the configuration page before or after restart. My time to power off is in minutes. Can't set seconds. I have a 1500 (nominal) watt ups and "use time remaining" shows as 20100 (I presume seconds, but no units!) on 100% charge.

A longer "time to safe mode" should take you through those immediate power fluctuations you experience (being absorbed by UPS) until you hit "true" mains power failure. Then the system can follow it's natural course 8-)

Slightly OT - we has issues with erratic power and it was down to the main incomer fuse (60Amp) arcing across the contacts. Power tech uprated fuse and carrier to 80amp (unofficially) on the spot and later, by appointment, the system was uprated to 100amp from incomer to consumer unit.
StephenM

Post by StephenM »

Gremlin wrote: 21 Sep 2023, 01:39
StephenM wrote: 21 Sep 2023, 01:17 I couldn't observe anything on the TNAS - Web UI not available, nor SSH
Yeah, sorry. That should show up on the configuration page before or after restart. My time to power off is in minutes. Can't set seconds. I have a 1500 (nominal) watt ups and "use time remaining" shows as 20100 (I presume seconds, but no units!) on 100% charge.

A longer "time to safe mode" should take you through those immediate power fluctuations you experience (being absorbed by UPS) until you hit "true" mains power failure. Then the system can follow it's natural course 8-)

Slightly OT - we has issues with erratic power and it was down to the main incomer fuse (60Amp) arcing across the contacts. Power tech uprated fuse and carrier to 80amp (unofficially) on the spot and later, by appointment, the system was uprated to 100amp from incomer to consumer unit.
What I'm worried about is the NAS starting up after the power is stored (briefly) and then the power dropping a second or 2 later and at this point the NAS is going through it's reboot process - Takes a while to fully come back up - After which time I've used a chunk of the UPS reserve - A few of these could deplete the UPS and there's a risk of the UPS failing to have enough power for the reboot.

Also for a long power cut (recently 11 hours) the Safe Mode mode could deplete the UPS.

If someone from Terramaster can point me in the right direction for me to issue a poweroff then I can have the main house router wait for 5 minutes of being up in a script and then issue a Wake On Lan to restart the NAS. Apart from the NAS using a poweroff, Ive done the testing and it works. If the NAS has an actual power loss (UPS can not supply) then the WOL does not work, hence the need to keep the power drain on the UPS to a minimum after a power cut.

The fuse isn't the issue here - Village and surrounding areas also losing power.

Return to “Hardware, Power and Accessories”