Fix to DNS resolve problems, and volume permissions.

Discussion about Docker
tab3rware

Fix to DNS resolve problems, and volume permissions.

Post by tab3rware »

Hi, everyone.

Using the current package of docker, from Terramaster, I was not able to deploy a simple docker compose without several problems. I will try to share all the fixes i have found during the really hard travel...

Disclaimer: the Terramaster docker is buggy, i don't recommend use it, but I have taken it as a challenge, and i hope this could help people. Please Terramaster staff, this issues (and many other) make people recommend third-party NAS. Please fix your software.

0.) Before all:

Use portainer software, for easier stack deployment. You could use the Terramaster container, or use the docker version, as you decide.

To deploy as a docker, use the following:

Code: Select all

docker run -d -p 8000:8000 -p 9443:9443 --name portainer --restart=always -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock -v portainer_data:/data portainer/portainer-ce:latest
Now you can use the web interface in the url: https://nas-ip:9443.

1.) Fix DNS name resolutions

This error is caused by a wrong permissions configurations for the files inside /VolumeX/DockerData/containers: resolv.conf and hosts, and the container can't read both of them,

The problem could be fix is with the little script developed by @Bipe, using cron. (Nasty solution, but none other i have found)

2.) Fix volume permissions problems

Terramaster use ACL for files permissions, it's great, but is more complicated to configure it.

If you create a volume to be persisted, docker will create a directory inside the volumen subdirectory and it doesn't have the correct permissions for the user, but it can be resolved using ACL command:

Code: Select all

setfacl -PRdm u::rwx,g::rw,o::r /Volume1/DockerData/volumes

NOTE: This change the default permissions, if a volumen has been created before, it will not work (remove the -d parameter)

3.) More bugs... ???

Reserved for the future xDDD
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Re: Fix to DNS resolve problems, and volume permissions.

Post by TMzethar »

Hi, We are troubleshooting DNS resolution issues for Docker containers. If possible, can you provide us with the detailed usage process? You can record and package the process in graphic form and send it to our support email support(at)terra-mater.com. This will help us better locate the problem.
Here's what we need to know:
1. What is the image name of the container you used when you found the problem?
2. What kind of usage scenarios and running purposes do you need the docker container to achieve?
3. How is your container configured?
4. Under what circumstances did you encounter DNS resolution problems?
5. What role do you think DNS resolution can play in the mirror application?
Sincerely thank you for your feedback.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)

Return to “Docker”