Plex won't start - Disc Space ?

Discussion on Plex media server and clients
StephenNaylor

Plex won't start - Disc Space ?

Post by StephenNaylor »

This is in ToS 5.1.33
Installed Plex via App Center then manually installed the latest version 1.32.1.6999 as prompted by Plex.
This was working fine yesterday after the update but my NAS turns off automatically overnight and restarts in the morning and this morning Plex is showing as "Disabled" in app center and when I try to enable it, it fails.
I tried to start Plex from a SSH session and this is saying that I am out of disk space, though I have over 300GB free on Volume1.

/etc/init.d/plex start
/etc/init.d/plex: line 39: /Volume1/Plex/plexmigration.log: No space left on device
/etc/init.d/plex: line 40: echo: write error: No space left on device
/etc/init.d/plex: line 66: echo: write error: No space left on device
/etc/init.d/plex: line 68: echo: write error: No space left on device
chown: changing ownership of '/Volume1/Plex/tmp_transcoding/59828b2ffb02cb5555f3ecd981d0988e.jpg': No space left on device
chown: changing ownership of '/Volume1/Plex/tmp_transcoding/25ac36ec2bb26a1fdb7155a082daf1b5.jpg': No space left on device
chown: changing ownership of '/Volume1/Plex/tmp_transcoding': No space left on device
invalid main volume

I'm not very familiar with Linux and I assume that this either means

a: The folder is actually out of space in some way.
b: Permissions are preventing me from writing to the folder

I have checked the "Plex" shared folder and this does not have quota's turned on.

Can anyone advise on what I should try next ?
cliftonwknox

Re: Plex won't start - Disc Space ?

Post by cliftonwknox »

Same issue. Plex won't start after the update. I apply all the updates, so I went from the very last release for TOS to this one.
cliftonwknox

Post by cliftonwknox »

I went to the Plex media site and downloaded the package directly from Plex for TOS 5. It seems to have fixed the problem. Looks like the package in the TOS repository is broken. I am back up and running now.
StephenNaylor

Post by StephenNaylor »

I suspect my issue may be connected to this issue: viewtopic.php?f=76&t=4655&sid=007281223 ... e6a18f00d7

I have upgraded from ToS 4 to Tos 5.1. and my / partition is 97.7% full.

I suspect that when Plex is saying that the device is full, it is referring to the / partition because my main volume has over 300gb free.

The other issue that may be connected is that permissions on my system seem to be messed up. If I look at my admin users permission on the Application and Appdata folders have Deny, Read and Read/Write. Read/Write is ticked. Read and Deny are solid coloured. All are greyed out.

Current status of my system is:

1. I have uninstalled Plex.
2. I tried to rename the plex share which then disappeared but came back a day or two later.
3. I tried to re-install plex but I get a failure message when I do this.
4. To see if this was just about plex I tried to install other applications which all also failed. From memory it says operation failed.
5. The permissions on my system seem to be messed up. ToS just sits on "configuring" when I try to make any changes and then after I leave it the web page times out and kicks me out of ToS. I've noticed that my first user, my admin user has been added to the All Users group presumably when I installed and cannot be removed from this. According to the ToS documentation that is wrong. The All Users groups should include everyone that is not an admin.
jesse99

Post by jesse99 »

You should check whether the reported disk space issue is accurate. Even though you have over 300GB of free space on Volume1, there might be specific locations on your system where disk space is running low.
Haste make waste.wordle unlimited

Return to “Plex”