Replace disk (single, not raid) with a bigger one

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
charlyp

Replace disk (single, not raid) with a bigger one

Post by charlyp »

Hi,

I've searched extensively but couldn't find a clear solution to my problem (using Rsync doesn't work in my case: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=367&p=1448&hilit=r ... ngle#p1448)

I have a single 4 TB HDD in slot #1 (storage pool 1#) and a single 500 GB HHD in slot #2 (storage pool #2). I want to replace the 4 TB with an 8 TB then remove the 500 Go completely.

I've read in several posts that people use cp in shell mode to copy one disk to another; is it what I need to do? If so:
  • Do I need to delete the storage pool #2 before installing the new disk in slot #2? (I've already copied the content of the 500 GB to the 4 To already). Will this remove everything from the disk?
  • Will the new 8 TB disk become the main disk after I've removed the old 4 TB disk? (meaning installed apps will run without data loss)
  • Can I move the new disk into slot #1 after shutdown?
Thanks for anyone who can help ☺️
Ch.
TMwuu
TerraMaster Team

Re: Replace disk (single, not raid) with a bigger one

Post by TMwuu »

{L_BUTTON_AT}charlyp

Single array cannot directly replace the hard disk. If you need to replace the hard disk, you can only back up the data, delete the original storage pool, and create a new storage pool with a new disk. Then copy the data to a new disk. The data of your application will also be cleared during this process.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
charlyp

Post by charlyp »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMwuu

Hi,

So there's no way to clone a disk? That's really disappointing. Terramaster should add a cloning app to the application repository, I'm sure a lot of users like me would be happy to use it to upgrade their system. It would make the process of swapping disks in a single array so much easy…

So I guess the best solution in my case is to simply replace the second 500 GB disk with the new 8 TB one, leaving the "main" disk (in slot #1) in place then transfer backups I have on this disk to the new one…

Thanks for your quick reply,
Ch.
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

Don't know if this will help,
but you could take a look at cloning your selected HDD with Gparted Live.

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... arted+live
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
charlyp

Post by charlyp »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Gremlin

Hi,

Thanks for your input.

It doesn't look like GParted could work in a NAS environnement as it seems to require booting from a flash drive and I don't have a Linux of Windows machine where I can install internal HDD.

Thanks, anyway!
Ch.
charlyp

Post by charlyp »

superrobe wrote: 10 Aug 2023, 10:36 It does not appear that GParted could function in a NAS environment, as it appears to require launching from a flash drive, and I do not have a Linux or Windows machine on which I can install an internal HDD
mario games
Are you just fixing my wording? 😁
crisisacting

Post by crisisacting »

{L_BUTTON_AT}charlyp

It's a bot.

There's a hidden link when you quote it.
charlyp

Post by charlyp »

{L_BUTTON_AT}charlyp
crisisacting wrote: 10 Aug 2023, 14:57 It's a bot. There's a hidden link when you quote it.
Oh, I see. Thanks for the info.

Return to “Storage”