Upgrade to 5.1.4 - Cannot decrypt encrypted share folder

The discussion here is limited to topics related to the system update itself. Please post the functional issues after the system update to the corresponding other forums.
flacotelli

Upgrade to 5.1.4 - Cannot decrypt encrypted share folder

Post by flacotelli »

Hello,

after the upgrade to 5.1.4 version of TOS, i cannot mount an encrypted shared folder using the same password i used before. I always get password is wrong error, even if i'm 100x100 sure the password is correct (as it comes from a password manager and i never changed it).

This is ridicolous, has anyone experienced this issue ? I searched online and this is not the first time it happens. Can the Terramaster team provide a solution please ? Such an issue is not acceptable, if had important files in that folder they would be all lost !
Gremlin
Great Britain

Re: Upgrade to 5.1.4 - Cannot decrypt encrypted share folder

Post by Gremlin »

See the update notice for TOS 5.1.40. Part 2 of the warning notice in bigger red font, particularly.

[It's not clear what you have update to and from which level previously - 5.1.4 is presumably incorrect.]

If your data was important, then you would, obviously, have a backup.
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

If you created an encrypted shared folder in TOS5.1.29-5.1.37, I regret to tell you that the encryption on these versions is abnormal.
Solution:
1. Reinstall your previous TOS version, then your password will work.
2. Take the data out of the encrypted shared folder, and then delete the encrypted shared folder.
3. Update to the latest TOS5 version, and then create a new normal encrypted shared folder.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMzethar

Can you confirm the encryption status of later versions?
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

This problem has been fixed in the new version.
You mentioned " encryption status". Does it have any specific meaning?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

TMzethar wrote: 26 Jul 2023, 17:32 This problem has been fixed in the new version.
You mentioned " encryption status". Does it have any specific meaning?
In earlier posts only 5.1.37 mentioned as being an issue. Now it seems that has been extended back to 5.1.29. I just wanted to know that, moving forward from TOS 5.1.40/5.1.41 any folders encrypted will be capable of reading/decryption in future firmware updates - Guaranteed??

It also appears that this subject affects the suggested upgrade paths. if someone was to follow suggested upgrade paths [5.1.24 -> 5.1.33 (included issue release) -> 5.1.40] will folders encrypted in earlier versions become unreadable in 5.1.33 and also thence be unreadable in 5.1.40+?
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Gremlin

After reconfirmation, only the encrypted shared folder created on TOS5.1.37 has encryption problems. If it is other TOS versions, it can be decrypted and used on the latest TOS5.1.

Return to “System Update”